Buck died this morning...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by cricket, Aug 8, 2005.

1. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

My Boer buck died this morning in my arms. His last concious act was to tell me goodbye. As fast as he went, I think he was waiting on me to come out to go. He was simply too weak to rally again. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers...

2. maryanne

maryanne Well-Known Member

I am so sorry, You will be in my thoughts and prayers .

3. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

so sorry to hear this. it is so sad.

4. sheep tamer

sheep tamer former HT member

You might consider having your vet do an autopsy,
    so you know what you are dealing with, and hopefully
    can get it undercontrol. Losing animals to sickness is
    the pits. So, so sorry!

5. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Cricket, first off, my condolences on your loss. I have a few questions and couple comments. Was this a buck kid or adult? How long did you have him on Sulmet? What were his symptoms? It's not clear if you had a fecal run. If not and you're not certain it was cocci then how do you know the Sulmet didn't work? I can tell you I have dealt with many coccidia outbreaks and some whopping cases of it and sulfa meth (Sulmet) has worked terrifically every time. (can't the same for Corrid!) I drench it twice daily, using the directions on the bottle (1cc per pound sounds a bit much). Regarding Ivomec, if you're not sure you had a parasite overload how do you know it wasn't effective? Third, depending on how much grain you had the buck on and how old, it may not have been a factor. I know plenty of goat people who grain their bucks successfully. It depends on what the rest of the diet is. I grain my buck kids (minimally) til 9-12 months but not as adults. So in other words, we'd need more info here to really determine if Sulmet and Ivomec did or did not do the job.

6. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry about your buck. We lost one recently and I believe it may have been cocci. He was already having a bad time due to problems associated with UC. He had his plumbing rerouted and he had an awful itch and kept it rubbed raw and swollen. He was on so many med's trying to keep everything under control, I missed the cocci (or contributed the symptoms to side effects of his meds) Once he passed and I started seeing the same symptoms in a couple other goats, I got them on corid. It did wonders for my guys and gals. Then I found out that I got some bad info on worming and I am shocked I didn't kill one of them from overdose of ivermectin. We all do things wrong and just chalk it up to a learning experience. No matter how long or how much you know, you can't possible know everything and its always a learning experience. Even some of the old timers do things wrong. No one is perfect, so don't be too hard on yourself. Over the years I have made some bad decisions or failed to do something I should (due to ignorance) and lost an animal. Its hard when there is nothing you can do, even harder when you feel you did something wrong or didn't do something right. Just remember this...were they happy? did you love them? were they well cared for and well fed? did they have a nice place to sleep and friends to play with? If you answered yes, they were lucky to have you in their life and just remember what you gave them in life. Unfortunately animals aren't like people, they contract many different diseases and illnesses and since they are unable to tell us, we can only do the best we can do. If you did that, you have nothing to feel bad about.

7. cricket

Thank you Starsmom. You made me cry...Yes, they are happy and well cared for and now they will be even more well cared for. The one that died was a buck right at a year old or a little older. The other (age indeterminate but somewhere around 7yrs) is still not eating but is certainly sucking down the minerals I put in front of him. He'll eat a few pieces of hay or nibble a little alfalfa pellets but that's all. He seems to be holding his own for the time being. I'm trying to get a cud for him but I've never stolen one so I'm having to have someone else do it. I think that would probably put him over the top...I'm hoping anyway. I've never heard of Corrid so I'll call and see if I can get it.

I apologize for being vague and not telling everyone what the treatments, etc I'm using. I'm just not comfortable in doing so. Obviously, I've been using Sulmet - 1x daily according to bottle directions. It just wasn't enough for the little one. Maybe it will be enough for Cowboy.

8. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Hi Cricket, I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Just so you know, YOU TOO can steal a cud. I did it my first time without ever seeing it done. Just watch a cudding goat to see what side they chew on first. Stand by them, and when they cud, haul their mouth open and swipe it out if their cheek with your fingers. You won't get a whole lot, and your goat will look at you strangely and run off, but what you get will be loaded with the good stuff. If all else fails, some Probios can also be a good thing. When I need to make paste, I use rice flour and a tiny bit of Stevia. Works great for things like Probios powder and Sulmet (they don't even gag!). I can give you my recipe if you like.

9. moonspinner

Just wanted to add it's pretty uncommon for adult goats to get cocci, though not impossible. Cricket, were you seeing diarrhea? I can always tell if cocci has struck by the odor of the stool. I have been told coccidia can sometimes not present with bad stool though. Probios and baking soda has worked well for me when my goats have not been chewing a cud for a day or two. But it sounds like your guy has gone through quite an illness here. I hope he continues to rally for you!

10. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

Something else that might help, try giving them yogurt with live cultures. When my are just not acting right, sometimes I'll give them a little yogurt and it peps them right up. I give them different flavors. They will actually fight over it. I just use a syringe and squirt it in their mouths. Once they figured out what it is, they can't open their mouths wide enough and beg for more. The live cultures help their rumen and make them feel a little better. It isn't a replacment for probiotic or cud, but it can be a nice change of pace and can offer some good bacteria to their overworked system when they are feeling down and out.

Keep us posted on how your guy is doing and I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

11. cricket

Ok...thought I would update. Cowboy is holding his own. He is drinking and eating minerals. Now, this afternoon I took some treats out to the other goats and stopped by to see him and offered him some wheat crackers. (yes, I know it's grain) and he ate them as long as I fed him from my hand!!!!!!!!! What's up with this????? I have some errands to run and then I'm going to try feeding him some other stuff by hand. He's not loosing any more weight. I attenpted to steal a cud but only got a tiny bit (they really do look at you like you have lost your mind...:)) and have been dosing with probios and drench religiously. I'm going to stick with him and wait. Oh, AND he wanted in with his girls today...they're in season!!!

12. moonspinner

What great news that he seems to be rallying! I know just how you feel; the best feeling in the world when sick goat start recovering. Let's hope he's on his way now. In my experience, when a goat starts to drink after being sick and off feed, that's the first step to getting back to health. He should be chewing a cud before long. Keep us posted!

13. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Moonspinner...I believe she just lost Cowboy also :( :( :( :( :( .

MotherClucker

14. TimandPatti

TimandPatti Texas

I'm so sorry.
    Hugs!
    Patti

15. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

So very sorry Cricket

16. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

We lost a cat once that was very special. He too waited for us both to get to the vet and then you could tell that all was right with him and he died in our arms. I'm glad we were there for him and I know he was there for us. We are fortunate to share the love of animals. you must be a pretty special person

17. cricket

One more down....I can't believe this. :grump: I wish I knew what was going on here. This is the youngest of the herd...so I've lost one in the middle, the oldest and now the youngest is sick. I'm totally at a loss!!! This one goes and I'm selling everything I have and am throwing my hands in the air!!!! :mad: Same freaking symptoms!! only this one is coughing a little too. He's eating well, thankfully but.... :shrug: I just don't know.

18. moonspinner

Crickett, I am so terribly sorry for your latest loss. No one should have to go through this and you are in my prayers. But I do think a necropsy here would be especially valuable. We've all been advising on how to treat or if these goats did have, didn't have cocci and/or parasites or what all else might be going on. The advice is only based on speculation. For the benefit of your future goats, I strongly suggest finding out exactly what was the cause of these unfortunate deaths.

19. cricket

This one dies and I will be sending him off for a necropsy. I'm fairly certain it all stems from a worm/parasite overload. There are several things I didn't do that I should have...I didn't quarintine, I didn't worm when they came here because they had just been wormed, etc... So anyway, I hope I've clipped this now. The buck is separated for the time being. I don't think he's going to make it though.