Buck castrating

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Rob30, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

How old can you castrate with elastics?
    I have used them in the past on calves and young kids, but my kids are 4 months old now.
    I just bought 27 boer goats including the buck that I used last year. The problem is 2 of the 10 month olds came into heat. I seperated the billy but my bucklings are chaseing them all over, and they are half brother/sister. Not shure if they were bred. I want to wean the bucklings next week, so I figured I would castrate at the same time.

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

If you are talking about banding them you can do it as long as you can fit the testicles through the band. Some even push one nut through at a time.

3. littledoe

littledoe Well-Known Member

You want to wait until your bucks are at least 10 weeks to band. I band at around 12 weeks. Here's why. If you band early, they are susceptible to urinary calculi. Their urethra does not have a chance to fully develop. This can cause problems with clogging in the urethra (tube in the Penis).

Hope this helps you. :)

4. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Depending on the size of the testicals, I don't believe I would band them. I had to have two of my bucks go to the vet (8 Months) because it was going to be WAY too much stress on them to band them. I have seen them die from the stress, if they are too big. Now that is just my personal opinion. Good luck, do what your gut says to do.

5. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

This year I waited until 12 weeks to band my buck kids and they seemed to have LESS stress as far as obvious discomfort, etc. However maybe it gets bad if they get TOO old? Anyhow, you should give your girl babies lutalyse to abort the pregnancy if your does are young...I bought a doe kid that had accidentally been bred at 3 months of age! We didn't even know she was pregnant until she was 4 1/2 months preggers. She died as she couldn't pass the single kid. Fortunately we were able to save the kid's life through a last ditch c-section.
    If you can't band or cut the bucks soon, separate them!!!!!!! Good luck!

6. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Here is a different perspective on banding. I waited until 12 weeks and 16 weeks to band, thinking of the urinary system maturation. This was my first time castrating anything. 3 of the 4 bucklings had significant discomfort/ pain. One was so "off" that I removed the band the next day (his testicles atrophied and fell off anyway a week later than the others). Of the other 3 remaining, 2 went off feed for several days, cried, and stayed lying for extended periods of time. When they walked, they hunched up. I felt like an ogre for doing it and will never do it again so late. Only 1, a 12 week buckling, seemed not to notice and did okay. Next time, I will band no later than 8 weeks. They all recovered but imo, it was unnecessarily painful.

7. saraohio

saraohio Well-Known Member

There are adjustable banders availble which use a tube that can form a loop as big as you need, then crank tight.

8. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I've banded at eight weeks, but I think much older than that and you should either use a burdizzo or surgically castrate. I have two buck kids that I'm keeping for pack wethers, and they won't be castrated until they are at least four or five months old -- I plan to take them to the vet for surgical castration unless I can borrow a burdizzo from someone.

Kathleen

9. chas

chas Well-Known Member

It took my grandson and I about 20 min. to use the berdizzo on 5 -three month olds.You could hear the cord crush and then it was over. No limping no open cuts and nothing to wait to fall off! Couldn't be any easier.
    Chas