buck and companion question?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by garrett, Apr 29, 2006.

1. garrett

garrett Member

This may soumd like a stupid question, but my wife is concerned so thought I should ask for her. We currently have 2 bucks and plan to keep one of them for a while. We were going to keep one of the bucklings as a wether and companion for when we get rid of the other. the question is, do your bucks mount and harass the bucklings and wethers you have when they are not with the girls? Mine constantly is mounting and pushing around the other buck I have and my wife hates this. I told her I thought it was normal but thought I should check with others who are more familiar. Thanks, Garrett.

2. Delinda

Delinda Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes it is normal behavior, my big herdsire dosen't seem to do this much, but the bucklings are constantly doing this to each other, occasionally they will try to do it to the big buck but he puts a stop to it fast. :rolleyes:

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

That mounting behaviour is actually a dominance behavior. Does do it too. It is very common. Make sure the wethers are large before you put them in with the buck, as an adult buck can be pretty nasty to newcomers. I've seen babies go flying, lol.

4. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

It is normal. Heck our girls mount one another when they are not in with their boy, and most of the time they are doing it as a dominance thing, not because they are in heat.