Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I am no stranger to anatomy what so ever, given the chance I could list every part and piece on any domestic animal....but I'm stumped...well not really I have a hunch but I have never seen this before, or maybe just never noticed it before. While bandaging up Jaun lastnight his scrotum caught my attention, there was a black spot on it. So I took a look and it is a teat, hmmm so I checked the other side, sure enough teat number two. They are both located about and inch and a half to two inches down on the scrotum. Is this normal? My assumption is yes, that it's the weight and elasticity of the skin that forms the scrotum and is pulling them down. I can't tell you how many goats I have castrated, and worked on for various reasons, but I have never noticed this before. We never really had to work on that end of a full grown buck before, so it was nothing I ever looked for. Just noticed this curiousity and wanted someone to let me know if this is standard buck apparel for where it is*l* Thanks so much!
-Kristen

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,657 Posts
ALL mammals have teats, male or female. Some are just more developed

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes yes yes I know that. My question is, are the normally placed well down on the scrotum for a buck?

·
Registered
641 Posts
my buck has them there. They weren't there when he was younger but as the scrotum developed and got much larger, it drew the teats further away from the belly and down onto the scrotum. So, I believe it is normal. Anyone else?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Well, I know when you castrate them the teats are WAY too close to the scrotum! Some are very hard to not catch if you are banding. So, it makes sense that as they grow the skin would stretch.
Good grief! now I'm going to have to go look at my bucks because I'm curious....

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Milk N' Honey> That is exactly what I thought, thanks for confirming it. I have been on more castrations then I like to think about and just never noticed it, so it made sense to me to have that happen on a matured buck. Never had lengthy hands on experience with a buck, we would just respond to farm calls mostly vaccinations or for stiches or kidding, never really did much with the big boys. None of my veterinary books mentioned it, but I figured it was as much, figured I would ask the folks who would know for sure! Thanks so much!! = )

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ChickenMom: Thanks! When we would castrate we'd have to be very carefuly about holding the skin just right to keep those out of the way. *lol* Sorry to start a buck inspection!

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
They are that far down because everything in that area drops during the heat, in an attempt to keep everything cooler. Look at a bucks scrotum during really cold winter days....its hardly noticable its so scrunched up in an attempt to keep everything warm! :p Then the same bucks scrotum during the summer might dangle down blow the turn of his hocks. Its a temperature thing. The testicles dangling so far down are pulling his teats down as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts