Bubble wrap, pvc pipe, and vet wrap- Oye!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jen H, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

What a day!

We've had snow on the ground for the past week, and today it started raining. So the entire world turned into sloppy ice. Oreo and NewGoat were outside playing in the barn pen, and before I could stop them they spun around, reared up, and down they went as their feet slipped out from under them. I ran over and grabbed our neighbor and his son for reinforcements (Husband was out with his father). (The stupid critters are never out when it rains! Except for today, of course.)

Both goats were limping, but putting weight on all 4 feet and not crying out. The neighbor's son ran and cut some pvc pipe in half and I found some bubble wrap and vet wrap. So, I have 2 goats with very colorful splints on their legs consisting of bubble wrap, 1/2 pvc pipe over that, and vet wrap holding the works on. :rolleyes: It seems to be working - both goats are getting around ok.

The pain in both of them seems to be right at the joint above their hoof, and I didn't feel any break. Hopefully it's just a couple of sprains and they heal quickly!

2. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

you can give them some asprin for the pain.

3. needstoknowmore

needstoknowmore Rattlin Rock Ranch

I hear you about the sloppy ice. By the look of the forecast we should be knee deep in mud by the weekend. UGH!!!!

PVC makes good splints. But the bubble wrap. Although I think it would work fine, I would be concerned because it wouldn't let the leg breath! I used thick cotton, and when I was out of that I cut up old towels.

Best of luck to the goaties fast recovery and getting rid of all the ice!!!!!

4. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I wouldn't splint unless I knew for sure they had broken a bone. It will just atrophy the muscles otherwise. Goats are tough.

5. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

They're getting around better with the splints then with just the wrap, so I think I'll keep splinting them for a couple days and give the joint some support while it starts to heal.

The bubble wrap worked in a pinch - that's the first thing my eyes landed on when I grabbed the vet wrap. Today they're sporting moth-eaten wool blanket scraps, pvc, and the vet wrap du-jour is pink. :)

The way it's raining here, the ice and snow should be gone quick. It can't happen soon enough in my book. I about broke my own leg just trying to walk out to the barn this morning!