BTW You Reloaders & Competition Shooters

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by NWSneaky, Dec 22, 2005.

1. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

Other than your macho need to be the badest in your county, do you have a clue how much more contamination you are placing in the planet earth? I clearly recall the gentleman who claims to reload and fire two-boxes/week.

2. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

Did all that lead and copper magically appear in the bullets? No, it came right out of good old planet earth. We just return it at a high velocity.

3. NJ Rich

NJ Rich NJ Rich

What's your point? Do firearms of themselves "scare you"? I am not "scared of firearms or people that own them". I am scared of people that think only Policeman; Peace Ofiicers; Military and those empowered by the govennment should "Bear Arms". Look at the history of many Nations " taken over by aggressors of defenseless populations. I kind of worry about people lik. y..! Deal with it ................. Or don't post cr..!

4. NWSneaky

If you prefer I not post I am okay with that. Actually I was a US Marine Corps fighter pilot in 'Nam; 127 missions and several more rescue missions. I merely believe fascination with guns is indicative of poor judgment.

5. working-mom

working-mom Registered Redneck Woman

:hand: Have you ever been hunting before?? ......PLEASE!! I don't believe this is a "greenie" web site.... besides guns are good protection tools.... HEAVY emphasis on "tools". To each there own bud........
    :boring:

6. NJ Rich

NJ Rich NJ Rich

Hey Marine,

I respect your opinion and you have every right to post aside from my personal views. Fighter Pilot in Nam I salute you for what you did. I am somewhat "overly defensive about guns and ownership". I guess you are just worried about the environment more than the guns and their owners. True, there is little we do that doesn't impact the environment we live in. We all add to the problem one way or another. I worry about those countries that have "no clue about the environment" and don't care for that matter. I am tired of my state telling me, "I must take my car off the road because it puts out emmissions over the standard". And its only 5 years old. What about the "air we get from other states"? The air from my car is over the ocean and headed out to sea two minutes after I start the car.

There are many problems impacting our world. I don't mind doing my share but I have a hard time ingnoring those countires that are burning down the rain forest for a buck the people don't even get to help them.

You have a right and so do I. I was rather abrupt but I know you understand now or hope you do. That doesn't change my stance on the issues. Peace and Good Will. Merry Christmas NJ Rich

7. NWSneaky

God or at least My God Bless you all; I do enjoy hearing the differences.

8. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

well i guess i am your worst nightmare. just on last saturday alone i went through with my two sons over 1100 rounds. gotta admit 500 was 22 the rest was centerfire rifle. Last year i handloaded about 5000 rounds. Slow year it was.

nothing macho about it. I shoot for accuracy. Just like some folks like to get drunk on weekends I like to shoot weapons. I have a range with backstop etc etc etc. At least I am not riding down the road either racing,speeding, or drunk to kill your loved ones.

I have worked up loads before that I test fired after each grain in adjustment to powder. I check bullets for concentricity etc etc. Thats why I can keep a three shot group under a quarter at 250 yards and in a dedicated sniper purpose built 308 I can keep three under a silver dollar in excess of 400 meters on average.

Some strive to be a perfect poker player, some strive to be a excellent fisherman or hunter. i like to see just how accurate I can fire a weapon.

Nothin macho about it.

9. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

Hi, Stickywitch, glad to see you made it back.

10. Dan in WY

Dan in WY Well-Known Member

Wow! How do you get them big ol boots so far into your mouth sir?
    Since you wore the same uniform I did I will assume you were required to go to the range for Qual. Remember policing up all the spent brass? All of us reloaders also police our brass, or we wouldn't have anything to reload. Aside from brass and the lead, which is a naturally ocurring element, what other contaminants are we placing in the earth? Please educate me sir, I'm just a dumb old tread head that likes to shoot. I Usually shoot between 100 and 200 rounds a weekend during the summer.

11. Richard6br

Richard6br Well-Known Member

I can't think of a more relaxing sport than competition shooting. [ At least for my part.] As far as hurting the environment, I don't know just exactly what your complaint is. Is it the gunpowder burning or the lead and copper going into the ground?? There are lots of other sports that I think would be much more harmful to the environment that shooting. As far as your Macho remark, competition shooters are about as far from being Macho as I am.

12. skeetshooter

skeetshooter Well-Known Member

Hey, I resemble that too!

13. NJ Rich

NJ Rich NJ Rich

Well, I stuck around to read the responses to NWS. I try to look into what he said and glean something out of it. I respect his views even though I trashed him pretty hard in the beginning. I sent him a private email and hope I understand his views.

No one who hasn't been in combat can really know where the other guy is coming from. I would think I/we should stand back a minute and reflect on that. I am a shooter too. There is nothing "macho" about it. Its competion pure and simple. Some:throw shoes; play foot ball/basketball/baseball, or softball. We shoot. I don't have a problem with that. Personally, I think every child going through school should learn some things other than the Three "R's". Every child should: learn to swim; learn to balance their finances and learn " Gun Safety". That doesn't mean learn to shoot. It means: Billy took his dads gun out and I left because it wasn't safe. I learned how to check if the gun was loaded; I know I needed to tell a teacher or parent what happened "before someone got hurt". Gun safety is important for everyone. My wife can shoot every gun I own and shoot a bow and arrow too. No, I ain't ever cheated on her and don't want too either. I guess "understanding" is important here. We post looking for others opinions. I guess I need to take a step back. No, I haven't changed my beliefs. I am trying to understand others. Best, NJ Rich

14. tallpaul

tallpaul Well-Known Member

hmm perhaps you are anti weapon now that you deposited untold contaminates into the environment yourself? 127 missions and the training. Considering the emmisions alone from the aircraft you willingly piloted not counting the munitions deployed and the impact of producing all that fuel, I would imagine that my 10000 rnds a year mostly in a designated shooting area to be minimal...

poor judgement just because I like firearms... I bet my guns have hurt/maimed and killed alot less than what you have had personal control of if you really were a pilot in Nam' . May God forgive you for your poor judgement...

15. NJ Rich

NJ Rich NJ Rich

Easy fellows. The man obviously went through a lot. No need to stir up the past. I am sure he would rather put that behind him. And we should let him.

I am not sure where he is coming from but this is a forum for differing thoughts. I started out "pretty hard" but give him his opinion and let it rest.

Thanks, NJ Rich

16. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

If you were really a fighter pilot in 'Nam, you fired far more pollution into the air than a few folks shooting reloads...

A typical troll post. You do this fairly often don't you?

17. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

Well, he started it. And he's the one who brought up the past, too. Maybe I'm sensitive about gun grabbers.

And I also warmly thank him for being a Marine and for serving this great nation.

18. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Gee NWSneaky you don't seem to get all worked up about befouling the planet earth in this post:http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=86078

And I quote: "Our neighbor was a bulldozer operator; he is very aged and ill now. He just dug a big pit for us and about every ten years you have it back-filled and a new one dug; BTW burning it once-a-year keeps it going for a lifetime. And NO --- don't lecture me about all those "laws". Around here we are fortunate enough to still have cops and officials that are "country" and believe in don't ask, don't tell. I do believe in recycling so all metal cans and such go to a center in our little town."

Seems like you don't have a problem with contaminating the earth at all now does it. Seems you're quite content with dumping trash in the ground. Does dumping trash in a hole make you feel all macho? Does it make you feel like a big man? Of course not. That would be silly. The notion is silly. Just as your assertions were silly. It seems you do have a problem with firearms. We call this disorder Hoplophobia. Perhaps you should seek help for the disorder.

Hey, we went through 1500 rounds at the range today. I shot that extra 500 in your honor.

19. Richard6br

Richard6br Well-Known Member

:confused: :confused: Sounds like Sneaky has some memory problems. I wonder how much damage was done to the environment and his memory, from all that smoke. [I just love the smell of gunpowder first thing in the morning]. :clap: :clap:

20. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Bah! If everyone was in Nam who says they were on a forum, we may have won the war...