brussels sprouts

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Rouen, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

I planted a few in early spring the day our growing season began(they were started inside) they are all still alive and green, relatively happy looking but short, is it possible they will grow heads once we get cooler weather or should I give up on them?

2. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

I'd let 'em go for a while yet. Brussels sprouts aren't even very good until they've gone through the first frost of the season!

Are these your first BS (ha!), or have you grown them before?

Pony!

3. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

these are my first attempt

4. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Are there any sprouts started at the bottom leaves? If so, snap off two or three layers of leaves (going up). The energy will go into the sprout instead of the leave. As the sprouts get larger you can snap off more leaves. I need to do mine. If a picture will help I'll take one.

5. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

a picture would probly help, there are leaves going all the way up the stalk, but no sprouts.

6. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

No teeny tiny little budlets at the base of the leaves?

Hm.

I'd still keep them there, and keep an eye on them. Give 'em a couple more weeks... But that's what I would do.

Are you anxious to plant something else there?

Pony!

7. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

This was my first BS year (ha!) and I got terrible germination - I suspect a bad packet of seeds - but the plants that did grow got fairly tall... and then I let the webworms and cabbage loopers eat them up :(

NEXT year will be a good year for BS.
    Yeah, that's the ticket.

8. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

I'm interested to see your answers. I planted brussels sprouts for the first time this year too, right at the beginning of the growing season in the spring, and I don't have a single sprout yet. I do have little tiny budlets at the bases of the leaves, though. I thought my sprouts were goners, because about 3 weeks ago, something (or someONE) mysteriously ripped all of the leaves off my brussels sprouts, except for maybe the top 2 or 3 layers of leaves. The most unusual case of vandalism I've seen--none of the other plants were harmed, and the leaves were neatly ripped off at their base, leaving all the long stem still attached to the plant. None of the leaves were near the plants, but I did find one leaf laying half a block away. Very strange.... ANYWAY, the plants seem to have recovered--they still look perky, if a little naked--and now based on the advice given here so far, it sounds like the vandal may have actually done me a favor. :shrug:

So, I also want to know--will I get any sprouts?

9. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Me too. :Bawling: Not all of the plants are gone, though. DH is probably relieved. :rolleyes:

I say yes, wait awhile and the sprouts will come. If you're anywhere near me, the current drought is probably to blame for the slow growth. Assuming we get rain at some point, the buds will form. Don't even think about eating them until after the first frost - they're like carrots and won't taste like anything until they've been frosted a little.

10. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

I have some oddly shaped leaves that have a little extra growth down around the stem area of the leaves but nothing I'd call a budlet.
    no not anxious to plant something else, I have no seeds to plant :rolleyes:
    I've been watering the sprouts along with the melons, it's probly too late to keep hoping for a melons now though. :shrug:

11. karsan

karsan Well-Known Member

Rouen, do not forget that the green head is good eating too, like a giant sprout.
    karsan

12. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

[​IMG]

The sun wasn't high enough in the sky so the lightening is bad, but this gives you an idea of how far up I break off leaves.

13. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

nope mine deffinatly dont have budlets