Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Their leaves are turning purple and falling off the stalk. I do have sprouts starting.
I did find some cabbage worms and squished them.
B69CFEC8-C31E-4963-B3E6-BD1801459EC5.jpeg

·
Premium Member
8,459 Posts
Potassium deficiency is the most likely thing going on. Brussel sprouts were developed from a purple cabbage variety, so there will always be a tendency to show a bit of purple--but, if the top leaves are falling off, they are shutting down and causing the plant to lose sprout production. At this stage (half their productive life) I would get them onto a Miracle Grow liquid diet and see if you can turn the plant around. It's still a long time until cooler weather when the sprouts are bulking up, so you have nothing to lose.

vegetables - Why are the tops of my Brussels Sprouts turning purple? - Gardening & Landscaping Stack Exchange

The cabbage worms are a different issue, from flying cabbage moths which lay their eggs on the leaves. You should get them gone with some form of Spinosad, or they will multiply and eat the whole plant, in time.

geo

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Potassium deficiency is the most likely thing going on. Brussel sprouts were developed from a purple cabbage variety, so there will always be a tendency to show a bit of purple--but, if the top leaves are falling off, they are shutting down and causing the plant to lose sprout production. At this stage (half their productive life) I would get them onto a Miracle Grow liquid diet and see if you can turn the plant around. It's still a long time until cooler weather when the sprouts are bulking up, so you have nothing to lose.

vegetables - Why are the tops of my Brussels Sprouts turning purple? - Gardening & Landscaping Stack Exchange

The cabbage worms are a different issue, from flying cabbage moths which lay their eggs on the leaves. You should get them gone with some form of Spinosad, or they will multiply and eat the whole plant, in time.

geo
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts

geo
Wow, I am impressed! I don't grow anything anymore, but your really have a handle on this!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Normally, I associate purple color with Phosphorus deficiency rather than Potassium. Miracle Grow will certainly work, though is a bit expensive. Any generic fertilizer blend will have both Phosphorus and Potassium, but I would focus on using one with higher levels of Phosphorus. At Home Depot/Lowers, the higher Phosphorus blends are usually marketed as "starter fertilizer".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts