Brush Goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by goat^farmer, Oct 22, 2006.

1. goat^farmer

goat^farmer Well-Known Member

Whats the best breed of goat to make brush goats. Ive read lots of post of people having lots of trouble out of lamachea and nubians or Kiko. Our fam like to get so type of breed goats taht can handle lots of brushes an not worries all the type they going to croke over. I have a herd of dairy goats now but want to get some goat breed that tough on all teype of plants from cherry trees to pokerweed. Is there a goat like that or wishfully dreamers. to could we use the milk from them after ateing all them types of things? :shrug:

2. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

I don't think there is any breed more resistant to poisonous plants then others, but if there is lots of brush and adequate feed they will avoid eating the "bad" plants.
    You would probably be best off getting "Crossed"(mutt") goats, mixed with kiko, alpine, pygmy, boer... . I'd probably avoid the heavy milking breeds (lamanche, nubian..) with big udders and extra nutritional requirements when in milk.
    My toughest doe is a Alpine cross, who has slow growing feet, high parasite resistantance and doesn't get a huge udder, good mom though.
    I tried a couple Kiko does which would be a good candidate, but the two I had were really wild, which you would have to deal with for hoof trimming, worming and just a real pain to catch. I don't deal well with wild goats anymore, it not worth the headache to me, so the Kiko's had to leave.

3. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

I have LaMancha, Boer and Nubian goats, they are no trouble at all. In fact, they have become excellent landscapers. You mentioned that you have dairy goats now, so just put them to task. StacyGoats mentioned poisonous plant awareness. I personally don't believe in the term "brush goats" or "mutt goats" it gives readers and potential buyers the impression that brush is their sole source of nutrition. A few years ago I would have also believed the same. Often times I see goats suffering along roadways because of this huge misunderstanding. My thoughts for the day....Tennessee John

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Any breed of goat will do well for browsing in the brush if that is the way they were raised and bred. If you expect them to go out and browse, don't buy goats that have been pen raised and sack fed. Don't buy goats that have been pampered for show. Don't buy saggy, baggy udders that will snag on tree limbs and briars. One more reason to breed for proper mammary systems. Lots of milk does not have to mean baggy udders. I have Nubians, Lamanchas, Alpines, Boers and Saanans and crosses of these breeds. They *all* go out and browse and keep my brush down in a 50 acre area. They do very well on it too. Dairy goats can browse very well. Dairy goats should not be thought of "hothouse flowers". They need to be hardy as well, and will be if raised properly. Mine go out and browse in the brush and come back in twice a day to be milked. They *can* do both and do it well.
    My favorites for just "brush goats" would be Boer/dairy crosses.
    As for cherry and pokeweed?? No livestock can survive *wilted* cherry leaves. They are a *poison* and its not something you can breed resistance to. FRESH cherry leaves will not hurt goats, just the wilted leaves.
    Pokeweed is one of the staples of my goats browsing and will not hurt them as long as it is not their sole source of browse. Give goats variety and they will pick and choose. DO NOT allow them access to downed cherry trees and don't cut cherry leaves and bring them to penned goats.
    All goats will need mineral, shelter and supplemented hay and feed unless you have a year-round growing season as few of us do. And keep them wormed and hooves trimmed at least once a year, probably more depending on your climate and country. Having brush goats is great, but they will still need some basic goat care. :)

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

You have to remember in reading the boards, that none of us come on and tell everyone how healthy our does are, how I didn't have one bottle of antibiotic opened here, although penmonia at shows was rampant this year. That we had no kidding difficulties, that the girls are still milking really well...how boring is that? What we do on forums is answer questions...these questions are always health type problems of course. It is NEVER related to the breed of the goat but to the management of that breed. WE cause all the problems on these forums, not the goats.

My girls live in the woods, near the Cleveland National Forest, north of Houston. I didn't go through the woods and pull out posionous plants, being from California, I couldn't tell you what most poisionous plants even are here in Texas. But well managed, well cared for animals don't go in the brush and eat posions plants...goats are poisioned by us...by fruit trees we plant and by foundation plantings of azelas etc. by moldy grain, hay and bedding.... There isn't a time where we have complaints about milk taste from the girls browsing. And you can mlk any breed of goat...mammal for that matter. Vicki