Brush cutting for forest improvement

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by canfossi, Nov 13, 2005.

1. canfossi

canfossi Well-Known Member

I met with a tree conservationist yesterday so I can classify my woodlot as a "managed forest" to reduce my property tax. He said that I should cut down any trees of lesser quality that are crowding the higher quality trees ie. sugar maple or black cherry so these higher quality trees will have more room to grow. I was wondering in areas of my woods where there is heavy brush and higher quality trees together (the areas of heavy brush is about the same height as the trees I want to keep 15 feet or so) should I take out some of the brush so it's not so dense around the trees I want to keep like the maples? I do know I have to leave some of the brush (understory) for the next generation of forest. Thanks Chris

2. OneWheelBiting

OneWheelBiting Redneck Hippy

Chris,

Speakig as a land owner and logger you want to mow your underbrush. You also want to thin your value trees to a 25ft spacing. This don't have to be row just make sure one tree is within 25ft of the next. Mow the underbrush 1-2 times yearing and aviod the use of weedeaters as a hit in the bark today could be a big value reducer in 20-30 years. Also try where you have gaps in your treed area to plant more hardwoods. I don't know the tax law in Canada so I can't speak for that part.

Later,
    Keith Ratliff

3. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

certainly you want to thin out the brush around the high value trees ,also fire breaks through the bush . clear all the cut brush out as this can be a fire hazzard. what part of ont, are you in?

4. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

I would decide how you want to manage the woodlot. There are many ways. Read up on all of them and then do what is best for you and your land. I think a very good way for a small woodlot owner is to go in and thin the brush for firewood. Some of it will grow back quickly, like a coppice. All the better. I wouldn't mow or cut anything unless I was going to use the biomass for something. Leave all the best and biggest, regardless of species, until you have a better idea what you are doing. Be careful not to disturb roots. Avoid using heavy equipment. Encourage wildlife, as they add fertilizer. Consider managing the woodlot for multiple uses.

5. canfossi

canfossi Well-Known Member

Ford Major, my property is in Eastern Ontario.