brugmansia?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mickey, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member Supporter

Hello All,
    Does anyone here have any knowledge of a plant called brugmansia, aka Angels Trumpets? I am in zone 4 and need to know how to care for it thru the winter.
    Thank you.
    Mickey

2. Rivka

Rivka Well-Known Member

treat them as an annual or bring them indoors with lots of light. I've never been able to overwinter them indoors, so I settle for the annual route.

3. Laura626

Laura626 Well-Known Member

I've had luck harvesting the seeds from the flowers and starting them indoors mid winter. Apparently they are very poisonous, so if you do bring it inside be careful for kids and pets.

4. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

I cut mine back by 2/3 rds or more before bringing them in. They take up so much less space that way. I have had no problem overwintering them and they grow like crazy once the days start to get longer and warmer. I leave them on a cool porch. In the dormant state temps down in the low 40's don't seem to bother them.

PQ

5. Mickey

Thank you for your replies. I will try to find a place inside that is cool and dark as my porch is sub-zero much of the winter.
    Thanks.
    Mickey

6. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

Forgot to add in my initial reply, though they may appear dormant the best way to kill your burgmansia is to let the roots dry out completely like you can with amaryllis ans several other plants you winter over. Just check and give them a drop or two of water every now and then.

PQ

7. Mickey

Thank you PQ:) Can you tell me anymore about pruning my brug? Someone told me not to cut it back beyond the "Y"? It is quite tall now, but hasn't formed a Y yet. And should I remove the leaves when I bring it in, or just let them drop naturally?
    Mickey