brreding age/size for LM buckling??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by LynninTX, Aug 30, 2006.

1. LynninTX

LynninTX Well-Known Member

Too bad DGP is down

But I am impatient so talk to me...

At what age/size is a LM buckling ready to breed?

Last year we used a LM buckling and he was 9 months old when we bred 4 of our 5 girls to him... the 5th did not settle.

The LM's bucklings we got this year were born later in the yr... May & June. So 9 months is Feb-Mar... hmmm no.

Would they be ready to breed in Oct/Nov? at 5 months? Or Nov/Dec at 6 months?

If I am trying to breed at 5-6 months.. realistically how many does should I try to breed them to? These are my herd sires and I do not want to do anything to affect their growth and future.

Right now the 4 month old weighs 60lbs and the 3 month old weighs 51lbs. They are on milk, hay, browse, and alfalfa.... They are growing out beautiful and healthy looking. The 4mo is starting to do a couple *bucky* behaviors.

I do also have a ND here I am going to be breeding some girls to... so I have that option. There are a total of 10 does I need to breed this yr... 3 will be FF.

2. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Your buckling needs to be tall enough to reach and old enough to be interested, lol. That's about it. :D

Remember, you need to separate the bucklings by 3 months as they can and will breed at that age. So what I am saying is that if your LaManchas are good sized, they can probably get the job done now. In a few months, great. The weight of the doeling is important and her growth can be stunted by breeding too early, but the buck isn't stunted by being used for a few breedings at a young age. Our LM buckling is an April kid and he's huge. I am looking forward to seeing what kind of babies we get from breeding our 3 does to him. 2 will be closely line-bred, one is unrelated. He's an awesome looking buckling with an impressive pedigree full of multiple star milkers, and +B bucks. I'm excited to have him as our herd sire.

BTW, there's always the hay bale step-stool method for combating a height mis-match. ;)

3. LynninTX

Thanks!

My boys are seperate... I actually have 5 different goat yards going currently.

My 3 milking does in one, 4 new does in one, ND buck in one with my doe that stayed open, 3 doelings in one, and the 2 bucklings... they are so gentle they are in my big back yard where the dc play. When they get more bucky I'll move things around.

Also I believe for doelings it is 70lbs and about 7 months.. 2 of mine are 72 at 4 1/2 & 5 months... the other 4 1/2mo is 57lbs.

I won't breed before 6-7 months for sure..... and not until 80lbs min.

So all should be good there.

Just trying to make my plans for who, when, & how...

I just might need to try *something*. Though the buckling last yr bred my 5yo doe... and she is good sized.

4. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Two years ago, the Lamancha buckling we used was a June born baby and we used him in October. So he wasn't very old. He settled all the does we bred him to. It will not affect the overall size of the buck in the longrun by breeding him young. He will still grow to his full potential. Go ahead and plan to use him all you want. You may want to really watch the does that they don't come back into heat, in case he doesn't hit the target, so to speak. You wouldn't want to have a doe stay open just because the little buck is inexperienced and short of stature.

I am VERY anxious to see what kind of kids this years new buck throws. We bought the LaMancha buck "Kelton" from LeeAnne on DGplus. He is awesome and I can't wait to see what he does for our herd!

5. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

Ooohhh Kelton! he has nice bloodlines!

I don't think breeding bucklings tooo young will stunt their growth, as they hump each other anyway and have nasty sticky backs.. if you follow me. Better being used then wasted! you may have an adult doe that won't allow a buckling "snort!"

6. LynninTX

Kelton is sire to my 3 doelings :) And he is the one who settled 4 of my 5 last yr incl my herd queen.

I have his brother's son now as one of my 2 herd sires to me. Dobie's Anson Jones. He is gorgeous!

I sat here with this last night... I am only going to try to use the June boy on 2.. possibly 3 does. But Anson I am still debating. I think 4.... but maybe 5.

Trying to decide if Anson or the ND will have better luck with my herd queen this year. She gave triplets last yr with Kelton.

I am going to pen breed. I am still learning to catch heats. Although I think my open LM doe had her first heat Mon.... and I wonder if my 3 milk does just did. We had a BIG production drop last night on them.

Thank you all for the reassurance! I just did not want to hurt these boys.

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Active Member

Your buckling needs to be tall enough to reach and old enough to be interested, lol. That's about it.

Ditto the above. :)
    I've had bucklings collected as young as 5 mo. with VERY HIGH motility,excellent post thaw motility. So...if they're willing,use them.
    Kaye

8. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Kelton was such a nice sweet boy when he got here...now he is in full rutt. He looked real young and juvenile before. Now he is getting real masculine and bucky. He looks very different and really smells like an old buck. He is going into his second year and really maturing. He is a good 60-70 yards away from the doe pen but he is sure interested. There were 4 does in heat yesterday and another one today. They all stand at the fence and holler "KELTON!!!!" in their LaMancha voices. They are giving the same amount of milk, but it is probably because the temp has dropped. In other words, they would be giving more so it evens out.

I just can't wait to see his kids! I have 5 lamanchas to breed to him and maybe 2 LaBoers and 2 Boers (depending on whether I sell my Boer buck or not). If I sell that rascal, Kelton is the sire of everything this year...he will really luck out.

9. LynninTX

You are going to love his kids Diane!

Well all 3 does gave above avg this AM... so who knows... not me. :p