brownpaper bag wallpaper

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by crobar, Sep 25, 2006.

1. crobar

crobar Well-Known Member

New member. 1st time post. I believe I read on this forum about using brown paper sacks and/or rolls from Lowes,etc. to paper walls. I glued up paper,when I use polyurethane to seal paper, it just looks like wet paper sacks, I then tried the glaze stuff (that mixes with latex paint) from Walmart, looks like dry paper sacks. I wanted to buy supplies in small quanities locally to experiment. Any ideas? Thanks

2. heather

heather Well-Known Member

3. veme

veme Well-Known Member Supporter

Heather-
    That is so cool. I have never seen anything like it. Thanks for the links.

Crobar -
    If you do some walls I would also love to see them!

veme

4. paulaswolfpack

paulaswolfpack Well-Known Member

I did a nightstand with it looks like leathder,also wallpaper torn up on a dresser looks nice.paula

5. crobar

crobar Well-Known Member

I've been experimenting with brown paper also used rosin paper, I've only coated small areas with various finishes, exterior Walmart polyurethane, sanding sealer Just had some, glaze. DW would never let it fly on real walls. Bozzle insists on Draw-tite no run. No one (Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart) has it, didn't want to invest too much in experimenting. Incidently, looked good until sealers were applied. Any help?

6. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

I have used tissue paper before. We tore the paer in smaller peices and wrinkled it. We painted the first coat on the wall and then placed the scraps on the wall. We then painted the next coats and it looked pretty nice...sort of like a old plaster wall.

7. crobar

crobar Well-Known Member

aintlifegrand, is tissue paper wrapping paper stuff, did you paint & then push the paper into the paint?

8. stirfamily

stirfamily Well-Known Member Supporter

I have not been so brave as to try this technique on a wall but did do a lampshade a few years ago. Turned out great! Looks like worn leather. I just used paper bags from the grocery. Tore them into pieces and used white glue mixed with water as my paste.
    Karen in Indiana

9. AKraven

AKraven Member

Heather thank you for taking the time to google. :) I love this technique. And Stirfamily What another great idea to start out with. I never thought of that nad also was very nervous about doing it. :)

10. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

when i was living in new orleans me and my hubby rented an apt. in the french Q that had a living room done this way the two old queens that had it before us did it . now they are in huston Tx and do it profesionaly

it was perfect for the french Q

11. wyld thang

wyld thang God Smacked Jesus Freak Supporter

Turtle Island/Yelm, WA "Land of the Dancing Spirit
    you might try crumpling the paper before glueing it to the wall...I suppose you could tear big chunks since youre using rolls...I make nice paper to cover stuff(like to make a nice scrapbook cover< or cover a box), I paint with acrylics, about 5 to 6 layers of dabbing on with a crumpled plastic bag(a mottled look). The paint builds up and has "depth", and feels kinda like leather. I spray it with a clear shiny spray paint when i'm done.

12. lilmommajnn

lilmommajnn Well-Known Member

Can this be removed from the wall easily later? I live in a rented apartment and am SOOOO tired of off-white walls but I can't paint here.

13. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Hmmmm....looks like this is something I may need to try!

I was blessed with some handpainted wallpaper a couple of years ago. Very basic, really; done on heavy craft type paper, they just took a roller and painted 4 inch stripes. The roller must have been one with texture, though, not solid. A bit of the craft paper shows though, which is okay as it goes with the whole color scheme anyway. I suspect the brown paper bag thing would be similar. Golly...which room should I do first???

14. cowboyracer43

cowboyracer43 Well-Known Member

About five years ago, Cowgirl and I visited a couple in Gillette, WY who had finished several rooms and hallways with brown paper bag walls. It was drop dead good looking. Try the links and go for it big time. You will be happy. I am going to send a link for this thread to our friends in Gillette and see if they want to post to it.

15. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

Yes. it is the wrapping paper stuff. Yes, I worked small sections 2x4 so the paint would still be wet and just pressed the wrinkled paper with the torn edges in place. I wish I had taken pics of that house, it ended up really cool.

16. Shadow

Shadow Well-Known Member

If you rent or if you ever try to do something else with the walls after glueing crinkled paper or any texture to it, and sometime in the future you will want to, you are going to be in deep poo poo,. We had renters that did simular things with out checking and had to redo it. After sealing with varnish or any sealer it will not peel it has to be sanded off or covered with a skim coat of plaster and it is expensive if not impossible. It sounds cool, looks different, will get old, then. Cheap is not good in most cases. Just my opinion.

17. woodsmokeinherhair

woodsmokeinherhair it's bout quality of life

OH MY! That is so neat .... can it be done where it doesn't produce such a dark finish? Surely it can .... I can just see that done here in a light tan color in my living room with my new hardwood floors! lol

Woodsmokeinherhair! (muttering, *I will NOT get involved with another project, I do NOT need to get involved in another project!* lol)

18. crobar

crobar Well-Known Member

woodsmoke1960, I think you just managed to ask what I was wanting to. Anyone know how to get a lighter color?

19. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Nooooo don't try it on the rental house! LOL, however, you can cover them with inexpensive material. Carefully remove the trim piece near the ceiling and the baseboard. Staple the material near the ceiling and stretch it over the wall and staple near the floor. Then replace the baseboard and the top trim piece. If there is no top trim you can buy some at the lumber yard and paint to match. When you move just take off the trim and baseboard and remove the cloth and replace the wood over any staple holes.

20. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

cool effects ,would have to see on the wall to know if I liked the concept.

I'm a got to see up close kinda Gal