Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a #10 can of dried potato slices from 1999. I just opened them and they made the "wish" sound, so I know they were sealed well, however, they are brownish in color. They smell fine and are crispy (no moisture in the can). Do you think they just were out in the air too long before they dried them or perhaps they overdried them and they got a little dark. Input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
6,042 Posts
Sounds like a can of SHTF provisions were opened prematurely.

If the food situation was different....We wouldn't be having this discussion.:D

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a can of SHTF provisions were opened prematurely.

If the food situation was different....We wouldn't be having this discussion.:D
I'm guessing you think they are fine to eat then huh? I have them cooking, poured off the first water (it was brownish--not too appetizing). Added some fresh leeks and fresh kale from the garden and some seasoning. Unfortunately our potato crop last year wasn't so great due to drought and heat, thus the canned dehydrated slices. We normally have enough potatoes to get us through the winter and then some, but not this time around.

·
Banned
6,042 Posts
I'm guessing you think they are fine to eat then huh? I have them cooking, poured off the first water (it was brownish--not too appetizing). Added some fresh leeks and fresh kale from the garden and some seasoning. Unfortunately our potato crop last year wasn't so great due to drought and heat, thus the canned dehydrated slices. We normally have enough potatoes to get us through the winter and then some, but not this time around.
I'm in a bit of a Mood :stirpot:... Sorry,

Sure they are still editable. You said they were dry and the can still had a vacuum. Potatoes turn brown very easily. Have you ever made hash browns? Heck when we make them they are starting to turn brown in the 20 min. it takes to cook the batch.

Now if you had said they smell off, the can was dented/rusted/damaged, or that the can didn't seem sealed. Then I'd have thought otherwise. ;)

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
I guess I'm not hungry enough, but I'd say no to your brown, dried potatoes. :)

I've lost most of my potato harvest due to rot. Primarily fingerling potatoes that just didn't store well. I should have cooked, mashed, and froze all of them instead. I'm on store-bought potatoes now, and I cuss and grumble each time I've got to bring home a bag. Nothing makes me more mad than having to buy something I spent all season growing.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I would guess that they are EDIBLE, but not appetizing. Let us know how they turn out. The brown sounds like oxidation of some sort, which would make them taste off.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I just gave them a taste. Tasted just fine, needed more seasoning, but that's because I tossed the first water out. They need to cook a bit more, but I think they'll be palatable.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
The first time I dehydrated potatoes, I forgot to soak them in some lemon water first. They were VERY dark brown by the time they were dry. Oops.

But they still taste fine, and I use them in stews where they color doesn't matter (or show). I didn't have the heart to throw them out just because they look ugly.

I'm from the "try a little and see if you die" school of taste testing. I'll bet yours are fine, since you said the can was vacuum sealed and they smell fine.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The first time I dehydrated potatoes, I forgot to soak them in some lemon water first. They were VERY dark brown by the time they were dry. Oops.

But they still taste fine, and I use them in stews where they color doesn't matter (or show). I didn't have the heart to throw them out just because they look ugly.

I'm from the "try a little and see if you die" school of taste testing. I'll bet yours are fine, since you said the can was vacuum sealed and they smell fine.
It was during the big "get some dried food" rush prior to Y2K when I ordered them--had to wait "forever" to get them. I'm thinking they just left them out in the air too long or overdryed them. They probably had more orders than they could handle and quality control got put on the wayside.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
I'm sure there were a lot of fly-by-night places that popped up back then too - places who didn't really know what they were doing but wanted to get in on the stampede for preparedness. And as I found out, potatoes require more than just tossing them in the dehydrator.

Good luck, hope they are nearly as good as fresh potatoes for you!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sure there were a lot of fly-by-night places that popped up back then too - places who didn't really know what they were doing but wanted to get in on the stampede for preparedness. And as I found out, potatoes require more than just tossing them in the dehydrator.

Good luck, hope they are nearly as good as fresh potatoes for you!
Actually, I got them from a well established readiness place; they are still in business today, but even some of the best places got overwhelmed by Y2K and couldn't handle their orders. I waited for some things (non-food) from a very reputable hardware store for literally months. I only had 2 cans of sliced potatoes from that particular readiness place, so no big deal anyway. I have more from Emergency Essentials and I'm sure they'll be perfect. Never had anything bad from them yet.

The verdict is in on the potatoes now! The soup was actually GOOD! My husband asked for a second bowl. No off taste. I added a spoon of sour cream, some shredded cheddar cheese and sprinkled it with bacon bits when I served it. Not bad, not bad at all! Guess I'll go ahead and think of something creative to do with the rest of them now.

Thanks again for everyone's input--much appreciated!

G

·
I suspect the potatos were fine when they were new. It's just age that is making them brown now. After all they've been in their can for ten years. There's not much to go wrong in a slice of peeled, dried potato so they should be safe to eat if not appetizing in appearance. I say it's time to rotate them out, eat them up, then replace them with fresher stock.

Given proper packaging and good storage conditions there are some foods that will store for decades, but only some.

.....Alan.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've lost most of my potato harvest due to rot. Primarily fingerling potatoes that just didn't store well. I should have cooked, mashed, and froze all of them instead. I'm on store-bought potatoes now, and I cuss and grumble each time I've got to bring home a bag. Nothing makes me more mad than having to buy something I spent all season growing.

You been hanging out in my root cellar? ;)

Just jokin, but I have the exact same problem. I guess those fingerlings don't store as well as I'd hoped. Back to Yukon Golds for me this year

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
It seems to be a rule that the better a potato tastes, the worse it will store.

I have some Russian potatoes left, not many, but they store very well. Incredibly well. They are just as good now as they were when I dug them up. Which is to say, not very good. :) Dry and tasteless. That's why there are still some left.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I suspect the potatos were fine when they were new. It's just age that is making them brown now. After all they've been in their can for ten years. There's not much to go wrong in a slice of peeled, dried potato so they should be safe to eat if not appetizing in appearance. I say it's time to rotate them out, eat them up, then replace them with fresher stock.

Given proper packaging and good storage conditions there are some foods that will store for decades, but only some.

.....Alan.
Sounds like good advice. I think I'll go ahead and use the other can from them after I finish this one up. Being we have no "real" potatoes right now it is as good as a time as ever to use them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts