Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
chicken broth primarily , not sure if any one else drinks it like tea or coffee.

hot , smooth , nice for the throat after a good night of snoring.

easy enough to can or keep cans on hand from the store , shelf stable for a good long while

easy to make , catch the really cheap chicken on sale 49 cents a pound for leg quarters makes a lot of broth.

old layers , roosters they all make broth you can can the chicken meat also but you can get a lot more broth than meat from an old leghorn.

in the winter I get a perpetual pot going and have broth and stew going all the time the meat varies from venison to beef.

I was drinking a pint of hot chicken broth this morning and it got me thinking about this , this was just store broth I had opened a can Monday for my daughter who was not feeling well it was a short duration stomach bug and she was fine again Tuesday.

good hydration , warmth and easy on the stomach.

for S&EP it is a liquid you can store than needs no more of your water reserve and very little heat to prepare.

·
Gadabout
2,908 Posts
I drink it, too. When I make a batch, I put a quart in the freezer and put the rest in jelly glasses in the fridge. When I want some, I take off the lid, heat it in the microwave, and drink it right out of the jelly jar. Soothing and delicious.

·
Registered
279 Posts
For me, I love making bone broth, that feels so nice - I'm sure it'll be lovely this winter. I put it in mason jars in the fridge and heat it up when I need some. I enjoy drinking it as is, it's so soothing.

·
Super Moderator
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this reminded me I have a bundle of chicken feet to make broth from.

50 and raining on and off all day today , probably won't make broth till it is down in the 40s

my wife bought an insta pot last year , I started making the broth in the insta pot , toss in the ingredients and put it on slow cook , the lid seals nice and 8-12 hours a great broth it will stay warm on the keep warm setting for 23 hours turn it off and hit the button again and get 23 more hours.

always hot always ready to eat

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have made a couple batches now and my last batch ended up the darkest color. I used 25 chicken feet,1 stalk of celery, 2 white onions, 3 garlic cloves, and some black pepper. Covered with water and simmered for 24 hours. Made 7 quarts, but I didn't add any salt. It's kinda bland, but looks real nice.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I am making a broth today and added apple cider vinegar this time. Anyone else do that?
It's supposed to help with extracting the nutrients from the bones, making the broth more gelatinous when it is cooled.

My broth's haven't been jelly like ever, but always delicious. Are your broth's like jelly when cooled?

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
You have to simmer it a long time to concentrate it.
I've read that and I am going to try for 24 hours plus this time. I am going on 12 hours now, but not non stop - I take it off over night. I am not comfortable keeping it cooking while I sleep.

·
Super Moderator
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I cut up a cow this weekend , a friend had a downer , not a huge cow maybe 6-700 pounds , I weighed the 1/4s and I brought them in and 253 pounds was the total for meat and bone.

you get a few steaks and a LOT of soup bones the bones from each 1/4 basically fills a 50# lug

I was running out of freezer space so I have two 30 quart pots on the stove cooking broth I figure I will can a bunch

·
Premium Member
25,861 Posts
I have used a bit of vinegar to make duck and chicken broth. I'm not real fond of the taste, maybe I used too much. Pork makes the most jelly-like broth but it does need to be reduced quite a bit and chilled, not room temp.

·
Gadabout
2,908 Posts
I make a version of preserved lemon to add to all my bone broths. I grind the whole lemon, then layer it with Kosher salt in a jar, making sure to get all the juice, too. When I start the broth, I add a teaspoon or so of the lemon mixture. The acid in the lemons helps draw the calcium from the bones and makes it available for your body to use.

Just so you know, I've had some of that preserved lemon for about 3 years and it's still good. The salt really does preserve it. I DO store it in the refrigerator.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I like to make broth , every time we have baked chicken the Carcass goes in a pot with water onion garlic a little Bay leave
I drop in the bits of chicke that was left over .
I make a lot of fish broth allso , fish carcass drop in a pot of water onion and garlic bay leaf
30 lbs of fish Corcus makes a lot of broth.
I use it for cooking mostly
Beef broth is good I add some vodka at night if it’s cold .

·
Premium Member
10,453 Posts
Bone broth has become a favorite of mine. (We use only fowl for this simply because our dogs get the best of the goat bones.) When doing the fowl I always peel & snip off the nails of their feet to add to the bone pot; and this creates a very rich substance that can be used as a hot drink or as the base of some good soup/stew.

Reactions: altair

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Just because this is an emergency preparedness forum....we cook our broth until it gets fairly concentrated. Then we refrigerate overnight. In the morning we remove as much of the fat as possible and pour the jelly like substance into silicon cake pans. We set the pans in the dehydrator and dehydrate. It makes fantastic boullion. We then vacuum seal it in jars and store. That way, if you don't have time for the broth, you have an instant cup of broth just by adding hot water.
Link to a better description: Making Gelatin

·
Premium Member
25,861 Posts
Just because this is an emergency preparedness forum....we cook our broth until it gets fairly concentrated. Then we refrigerate overnight. In the morning we remove as much of the fat as possible and pour the jelly like substance into silicon cake pans. We set the pans in the dehydrator and dehydrate. It makes fantastic boullion. We then vacuum seal it in jars and store. That way, if you don't have time for the broth, you have an instant cup of broth just by adding hot water.
Link to a better description: Making Gelatin
That is a great idea! I knew boullion had to be made something like that but never looked into it. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts