broom corn question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ann Mary, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I was given some broom corn seed and it grew very well for me...but when do I cut the stalks ? :shrug: I'm wanting to try to put them together to make a broom...maybe. Would I harvest them at a different time if I wanted to use them in a dried arrangement? Thanks!

2. Tirzah

Tirzah Well-Known Member Supporter

How Funny,

I just pulled out my seed packet this morning to find out when I should harvest mine. :)

Here's what it says: The seed heads are ready to harvest when they begin to dry but before the side branches fall. Seed heads may be used for dried arrangements or can be saved to feed the birds in winter. If the seeds are removed from the heads, the "straw" may be used for brooms.

Hope this helps Ann Mary!

3. Ann Mary

Thank you so much! That's what I needed!

4. Jim&Chele

Jim&Chele Well-Known Member

The way we were told to harvest it was to break the head over about 2' from the top and allow it to finish riping/drying.that if I remember right should be about 2 weeks.What we did was just cut them off at about 2' from the top and hang them upside down to dry,this will also allow it to stay straight.If you take one and pull the leaves back away from the head back to where all is left is head and the inner stalk,you will see where the "brissels actual split up off the stalk,you want to cut it off just below that point.If you want to see the broom making process goto www.oldironclub.org for details on our show.

5. Ann Mary

Ok! Thanks so much!