Broody duck is going to be interesting.....

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by ladytoysdream, Jun 24, 2017.

1. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a Muscovy hen due shortly. I am not sure when as I forgot to write down when she started the clutch. She demanded to use the nest box with the chickens. It is a 15 hole mounted on the wall. She is in the bottom row and second from the end. She is holding the nest tight. I noticed I have a few chicken eggs in the nest. They are brown in color. I been trying to get them away from her as I don't want her to quit the nest when they start hatching earlier than the duck eggs She has a khaki egg or two which should hatch at 28 days. Then she has Muscovy eggs that the khaki male is father to. Those should go to 35 days. I have a incubator in the house currently running and a box with heat lamp, set up for the newly hatched babies.
    I tried getting the brown eggs away from her this afternoon and she nailed me hard with her beak and left a mark on the back of my hand. I think the chicken eggs maybe infertile as I only have the 2 small roosters and I doubt they are getting to all the hens. So I just probably may have to let mother nature do her thing and have some patience with this duck.

2. Lookin4GoodLife

Lookin4GoodLife Well-Known Member

3. cfuhrer

cfuhrer Wood Nymph / Toxophilite

She has to get off the nest sometime. I know you can't sit around and watch her all day but at some point you'll catch her off and be able to collect your chicken eggs.

Glad I'm not the only one with a quirky quacker.

We have a single hen (previous property owners left her here) I know of no one else around that has ducks and no open water for them to breed on. But, she quit laying in the communal nest and by the time we found her nest she was sitting a clutch of ten and defending it fiercely.

I was sure they were infertile but I caught her off the nest the other day and tried to candle one of the eggs. Seems to be she is sitting a fertile clutch - I guess we'll see.

4. ladytoysdream

Well Lucy was able to hatch 1 khaki Campbell baby last Monday.
    The Muscovy/khaki cross were due this Monday, that just passed.
    Nothing. So son helped me and we tossed 2 bad eggs. She is still
    on 2 and won't give them up. I don't think they are any good.
    Her duck eggs are gone. I think the chickens ate them.
    She is sitting on chicken eggs. So lesson learned, that next time
    she wants to sit, she goes in a cage where chickens can't get into her nest.
    I do have some duck eggs in the incubator. If they hatch soon, and Lucy
    wants the babies, then maybe we can work something out for her.

Her mom, Gertrude is on a nest in a big cage. So hopefully things
    go a lot better for her. We will get it figured out :)

5. cfuhrer

cfuhrer Wood Nymph / Toxophilite

Something got to my duck's eggs (we know we have racoons and skunks in the area) All of her eggs were broken open and empty this afternoon and tonight she was back to nesting in the barn.

As fierce as she was defending the nest I thought sure she would be fine. I'm heartbroken but I guess I should be glad that whatever it was didn't take the duck, too.

6. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Well-Known Member Supporter

When I have a duck start to act broody, she goes into our predator/duckling proof shed and pen. In that, she can pick her own nesting spot that is safe and dry and hatch and raise her babies without them getting through the fence. I have another secure pen (old dog run) that the ducks sometimes want to use and I will let them until the little ones hatch. Once they hatch, I grab up the babies and off we go to the duckling safe pen to be safe and comfy! Brooding, hatching and baby ducks are very vulnerable and, if you want to keep them, should be well protected from predators and other birds.

cfuhrer likes this.
  7. ladytoysdream

Our ducks go in at night in the building for lockdown.
    During the day, they have a big fenced in kennel yard.
    We have a fox still hanging around, and I don't want fox
    getting a taste of duck and deciding they are easier to catch
    than chickens. Most of my older chicken hens are real savvy now,
    but it takes awhile for any new ones to realize when the
    little rooster screams DANGER, they better be a running.

cfuhrer likes this.