broken wrist for Christmas

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Mutti, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, did myself up good--fx.'ed left wrist this am--some people will do anything to get out work. In splint until the ortho doc is back in his office Tuesday. Doesn't help that just about every pain med breaks me out in hives.DEE

2. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

OOOOONOOOOO, so sorry to hear about your accident. On the good side will this get you out of washing dishes? Hope you heal quickly! sis

3. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Well-Known Member

Ouch. Sorry to hear that. No handstands for you! Let your family do all the work and enjoy being waited on. Personally, I'd insist on being spoon fed!

But seriously, hope you get well soon, and that the pain is not too bad. Hope you're not like Mrs Dubai. She thrashes around something awful in her sleep, "chasing rabbits."

4. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Very sorry for your mishap and your pain. I hope the New Year is much better for you.

NeHi
    (fellow Missourian)

5. grannygardner

grannygardner Well-Known Member

Oh goodness, there's never a good time for a broken wrist but the holidays are especially bad. Hope you aren't in too much pain.

6. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I did better than that, 2 weeks ago I went ice skating with the family, tried to turn & stop, & went down, 1 leg went one way, the other went the opposite way. Doc says I tore disks & ligaments in both knees, & will need at least 3 surgeries to fix them. First operation is Jan 5th.

7. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Mutti, I take it that you went to the ER for treatment and didn't just splint this yourself?

There are potentially some blood supply issues to some of the little wrist bones where you wouldn't want to wait until Tuesday if they were involved in the break. But if you went to the ER they would have looked out for that and you should be okay.

KEEP IT ELEVATED!!! Swelling is a real problem for wrists because either the splint can get too tight or too loose as the swelling goes up or down.

There's a medication in a different group than opiates and NSAIDS--tramadol hydrochloride--that does well for pain control for some people, but has a lot of side effects for others. If I take it, I get vertigo--room spinning hold-onto-the-bed-and-don't-move-or-I'll-puke vertigo. Up to 25% of people get headaches on it. But if you cannot take other pain medications because of allergies, you might ask your doctor if this medication is worth a try, because for the people who don't get side effects it works pretty well. It is also supposed to be non-addictive.

You might put a note in your profile that you broke your wrist today. I'm sure typing is S L O W now, and that will help explain to people why you're spending less time online. Otherwise folk might miss you and worry that something more serious has happened.

You also have to make up a Really Good Story about how you injured yourself--a classic Tall Tale, which sounds unlikely but cannot strictly be proven to be untrue. :D

8. countryheart

countryheart Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your accident. I hope that you are right handed. Can you take anything for pain? Ice and elevate. Get well soon.

Countryheart

9. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry! I hope you heal up really quickly. I'm glad it didnt happen just before the wedding.

ok, so what is the story?

10. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

well, made it thru the nite with only Motrin...natural childbirth was better! Hoping to get this heavy splint off Tuesday as I'm just no good at sitting! dee