Broken tail so soon?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Ark, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

I have a doe who is not due to kid until Feb 17 and she is sporting a tail that looks broken!

This is my first kidding season so I don't know if it is normal to see that so soon.
    Is it too soon for loose ligaments?
    Is it too soon for discharge?
    When I really noticed her tail looked weird I also noticed that the 3 wethers were picking on her. They just wouldn't leave her alone! Not trying to mount her, just head butting. I was afraid they would hit her in the side so I separated them. Why would they suddenly start hassling her?

2. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Howdy ark, I cant say fer sure why she is being picked on cause I never had this problem myself till after the kids were born. Then the fighting would happen.Are ya sure ya got the date right?...you should not be seeing any mucus yet if the date is correct or perhaps she is going to give birth early. I never go by the tail being loose!...most swear by it but to me it feels the same as it does when I am brushing them down and they are relaxed....I always go by the distant stare,standing in one spot,the date,mucus,low bleeting,rolling and rubbing against things....you will also notice the teets drop and fill...some folks say that thems goats will also start to nest...mine have never done this till after birth...but then again my goats are spoiled to death and think they are humans lol. I would keep a close eye on yer doe she may give birth early!...keeping her seperated is a good thing if the other goats are picking on her...I always keep another doe in with my mom to be when she is about to give birth[as long as they dont fight] my doe CJ is a wonderful mom and helps my other does clean up the kid and all the messfroom birth but has never tried to take a kid on as her own....perhaps you could try to put another doe in with her and see what happens...goats are herd animals and can stress when removed from the herd....hope this helps...dale anne

3. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

Mucous discharge can happen up to a month before they kid. The "broken tail" is probably the weird looking tail thing they can get going on before they kid -- it doesn't curl up at the tip anymore, but is straighter and more downward, if that makes sense...
    If you make a habit of checking ligaments every day, you can tell right off when they are starting to sag and then disappear.

You definitely don't want the doe kidding in a pen full of wethers....she doesn't need the stress, and you're right, they can cause her to abort if they ram her.

Tracy

4. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Thankyou both for your reply!

There is no way at all that she could be due any sooner because we leased a buck in mid Sept. and there was no buck here before that.

We do not have separate fencing, so the best I can do for now is to put the 3 wethers in the small pen where I feed them until they get distracted and forget to pester her. I left them in there an hour and when I let them out all was well. They didn't bother her any more.

Another doe I have who is almost 11 years old has been having discharge daily and her due date is Valentine's Day. But, none of them are showing any of the signs like staring or nesting. Just the discharge and floppy tails on a few of them. I hope and pray that none of them deliver prematurely!!

So, thanks for your help!
    Rachel (Ark)

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

The tail thing was something that a 4H child brought to my attention and is usually a very good way of telling from a distance that a doe is due to kid. It's logical because a goat wags her tail by using her thurls, the muscles that run down both sides of her spine right at her tail head. If those are dissappearing (her ligiments are loose) than of course she flops her tail around, just as if it were broke.

Older does get down right embarssingly loose in the vagina, after all those years of kidding, so discharge is really normal in older does. The rest is just what happens, and if you kept notes about this you will notice that this other doe does the same thing next year and the next. Some does udder up early, others late, some get really loose in the vagina, others don't until they are in early labor, all goats are different....so that horrible answer to your question is to wait and watch :) Vicki