Broken rear leg

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Tracy, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

My doe that is due to kid in about a month has a broken back leg. She was fine this morning and then my husband noticed her down and would not get up. I have no idea what happened but the back leg at the first joint closes to the hoof is just hanging . This apears to be a simple break as the bones are not protuding but it moves both directions like moving your wrist back and forth. We wrapped it with vet wrap and an ace bandage and I splinted it with a vecro type horse splint. She is in a small confined area by herself. She is eating and drinking. The leg does not apear real swollen or warm but I believe I caugfht this very soon after it happened. I will check it again tomorrow. I have no problem calling a vet but if he is going to do exactly what I have already done then I dont see the point.
    Am I missing anything else that I should be doing?

2. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

Is she current on tetanus? When you dressed/splinted the hoof, did you notice any abrasions? Tetanus can enter even the tiniest scratch. If you didn't wrap too tightly, and the area isn't terribly swollen, I don't think there is much more a vet would do. Perhaps call him and ask what's the safest pain med for a pregnant doe if she seems in pain.

3. GOATDADDY

GOATDADDY Well-Known Member

Research what you should do very carefully. I found out the hard way that wrapping it with Vet wrap can do more damage than good. Don't know enough about your situation to say more.

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

As long as there is no broken skin, that you did not wrap around the bottom of the hoof, and that you cut windows for the dewclaws to breath you did exactly what I would have done. You don't want to do alot of redressing in the first couple of weeks, unless it gets filthy/wet or starts to smell, because you will move the bones. She does not need antibiotics as long as there is no broken skin, do not use steriods like DEX etc...if someone offers that up. Good luck with your doe.

Simple breaks are often handled by the owner, we do exactly what a vet would do. Vicki

5. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Just wanted to tell you htat i will be praying for your doe, and for you. Good Luck, bye.

6. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

With a very pregnant, heavy doe, I'd be concerned about secondary problems. Keep a close eye on her OTHER leg for signs of founder -- heat, extreme lameness in the GOOD leg.

I had a pet wether lose one claw to a fence injury (got his foot stuck between a t-post and wire) and he foundered on the remaining claw and the other back foot. He was reasonably sound enough after a year, though his back hooves are funky looking -- he's got "elf shoes" like a foundered horse. (And goes dead lame if I try to roll his toes and make the toes look normal.)

Leva

7. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

Thanks to all that responded. She seems to be doing okay and I will watch for founder. Kind of feel bad for her that she is isolated from the rest of the herd but that is the way it has to be.
    I will keep everyone updated.

Thanks again,
    Tracy