Broken leg

Discussion in 'Goats' started by goatmarm, Jul 17, 2006.

1. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

2. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Goats can break a leg surprisingly easily. One of my first kids followed me into the feed room, jumped up onto the feed can, then quickly back to the concrete floor to break her front leg.

I had a little buck jump over his fence to share another goat's feed, and broke his leg.

First broken leg went to the vet. Second one, I got an outrageous quote, more than I could reasonably put into him, so I cast it myself. It also was a back leg (though thankfully not above that big joint). I looked around and found the curved end of a hockey stick which I padded and set it with. He heeled well.

Wishing you best of luck with yours. If he is young, he has a good chance of healing well, imo.

mary

3. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

I have set a leg or 2 also. No big Vet bills here. I put her on the table felt the break and made it straight. I then used paint sticks and that foam pipe insulation. Set the leg then wrapped it in Vet tape. I put her on aspirin and antibiotics for a week. It healed great and I can see her running around right now. Good luck.

Patty

4. Loda Farm

Loda Farm Well-Known Member

WOW!! I had a vet set the leg of one of my does, and it only cost me $50.00. That was the office call and everything.

Laura

5. goatmarm

6. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Maybe it is were the break is I am not sure. But a couple of cast changes sounds like a bit much. I would hate to see your bill. Glad he is better.

Patty

7. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Keep us posted on everything the vet does......that is how we all learn what to do and what not to do.....wishing you the best and hoping your little goat does very well.

8. goatmarm

9. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

That is exactly how I got my first doe. She had her back leg stepped on and it snapped. the owner was going to kill her so i said I would take her. The vet cost me about 100.00 with additional xrays and splint/cast changes. She is fine now and as active as everyone else. I had her inside with us for three months. She kind of thumped around with her splint/cast but she managed ok. She does have a little crook in her tail from wearing diapers. Yup, every hour or so I would change her and she had free rein of the house until we went to bed. Then she would yell for me in the am for a change and a bottle. Felt just like 25 years ago. lol I cannot say as I miss that.

Best of luck to you and your little guy. I bet he will be just fine.

10. CountryFolks

CountryFolks Well-Known Member

i had nubain wether that broke his front leg his cannon bone and it was a compound fracture that the bone went through his leg and we did not find out for till the next day we took him to vet and they could put a cast on but we would be coving up the problem any way long story short had his leg amputed at knee did great survied surgery and he did fine on 3 legs but kept using it so it would never heal so surgery #2 he had it cut off at shoulder did great and heal good but next year had fever of 106.8f and took to vet but had brain damage and i had to put him down so all in all we put like $8000.00 or so in him and he was only $12.00 we bought him at an actuction so i do not think you are crazy every one tells me i was crazy but he was my baby i had him from 10 days old and he broke it when he was 5 years old :)

11. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

My friend had a two week old boer X doe kid break her leg (I ended up buying her) but anywho she broke right above the knee joint area on her back leg. Right where it would all but impossible for it to heal correct. She went on at 8 months at our local fair to win Junior Grandchampion and place GrandChampion over her mother and they one Best Dam And Daugher out of about 20-30 pairs of does.

Needless to say the judge didn't believe me when I told her she broke her leg as a baby. My friend casted it her self (she used to be a vet assistant). Now she is a strapping 2 year old with twins on her. No sign she ever had that bad of a break on her leg. Granted she didn't snap it like that (thank goodness!). I hope your little boy turns out well like my girl did.

MotherClucker
    ps: Everybody thought I was nuts for buying my little girl. Here are some photos of her as a baby (you can see her pink cast)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(Here she is a few months older...doesn't look like anything ever happened)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Psps: That is NOT me holding her..thats my dad.

13. goatmarm

14. CountryFolks

CountryFolks Well-Known Member

he is an aboulste cutie what is his name :banana02:

15. goatmarm