Broken horn lots of blood....

Discussion in 'Goats' started by chris30523, Jun 20, 2006.

1. chris30523

chris30523 Well-Known Member

:help: One of my 8 week old doelings broke a horn today.She has lost alot of blood.The horn is still attached sort of it is hard to tell and when you touch it it bleeds more and the more you hold her and she gets upset the more it bleeds.I put blood stop on it.As long as you don't touch the horn the bleeding seems to have stopped.It is 90 degrees plus today What else should I do??

2. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I had a baby break one off last year also. Do you need to keep the horn? I did because mine are Cashmere. I would take it to the vet and have him take the outer "shell" off, he/she should bandage it and it will heal over and it will keep growing. It is VERY painful to have it exposed to the air and the elements. good luck, prayers going your way.

3. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

If it doesn't stop bleeding with the blood stop, gruesome as it sounds, you might want to cauterize it with a dehorning iron. Spray with one of those antibiotic sprays too.

Ruth

4. chris30523

Don't need to keep the horn.So far it seems to have stopped .I am afraid she will break it open every time she hits the horn.Ithink when she calms down some I will try to tape the horn.Our vets will not come out for goats..The last time I took one in after being mutilated by the dog all he could do was offer to put her down.She did well with a little pcn. and a bit of doctoring.So I am reluctant to take this one in and pay 50 dollars for nothing..

5. wooly1s

wooly1s Well-Known Member

Hope all goes well for your little goat. The cauterizing would be my best guess.

We use Turmeric (a spice) as a blood stop powder. Stains everything yellow, but it is natural food and doesn't have any warnings like some of the chemical powders, in case anyone is interested in something different...

6. blue gecko

blue gecko Well-Known Member

When my dogs ear had a chunk bitten out of it I used instant mashed potatoes to stop the bleeding. It worked like a charm. I learned about potato starch based clotting agents through a wilderness emt course.
    I had never heard of turmeric being used. It's good to know.

Something else we learned about was how to make temperary fillings using clove oil and zinc oxide. I wonder if something like this could be used to seal the broken horn? It would be best to wait until the wound has healed a bit and you're sure there's no infection but it might be worth trying. B

7. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

I had a young doe break a horn off, it was only attached about 30- 40% at the base. My no nonesense vet grabbed ahold of it with a quick twist/pull and off it came.(I'm sure I was gaping w/my mouth open, because she gave me no warning what she intended to do.). She did cauterize to stop the bleeding.

8. chris30523

The stuff I used is wonder dust.It is a sulfur charcoal powder.Iturned the blood black and looks awful but the bleeding stopped.I feel sorry for her though .Every time another goat bumps her she crys out in pain.