Broken down Cub tractor....How much is it worth?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by r.h. in okla., Oct 6, 2004.

1. Not sure what year it was made 54' 55' 56'? It has hydraulics. It use to work just fine when I refurbished it back in the early 80's and owned it once before but my dad took it over and after he passed away it was givin back to me in poor condition. The engine is locked up, don't know why or what happened. After I received it back a tree limb fell on it bending the bar that holds the steering wheel and steering shaft. It would be easy to replace with a rigid conduit if you could find someone to bend it for you. For some reason my dad had ropes tied on it holding the front attachments up as if maybe the hydraulic have weakened or quit working. Needs a new paint job. The tires still have really good treads as I had replaced them when I once owned it before, but they maybe weather worn.

When I received it back I made plans on rebuilding it once again but it just seems like I don't have enough time to do anything anymore. (or money) So I've been thinking about selling it and using the money to help buy myself a stock trailer that I desperately need.

I don't do a whole lot of wheeling and deeling so I don't really know what to ask for it. Anybody out there have a starting point for me?

2. opus

opus Well-Known Member

2 things:

1: LOVE your signature
    2: the Cub aint worth much, $500??

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................Pickup a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil and pour a small quantity into each cylinder and let soak for several days and see if the engine will atleast turnover.....this stuff has really helped some engines that were "frozen"... , fordy.... :eek: :)

4. len

len Well-Known Member

there are collectors/restorers who love these little tractors. Cubs are small, light, easy to work on, fit in a garage, easy to trailer to shows etc etc etc. Good supply of parts available.
    Ask the question on ytmag.com or atis.net
    Both are antique tractor sites.
    cheers,

5. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

frozen dont mean dead, I have pumped water out of genorator engines and poured kroil in there and after a few hours fired them right up.

as for just dumping it for parts, i had a 61 cub I used till the deck belt guide snapped off and I gave it to my nephew who repainted and fixed it for almost nothing then sold it to a collector for 1000 bucks..
    I hate kids...

6. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

As a frozen up parts tractor you'd be lucky to get $250. Get it at least turning over with decent compresion and you'd double that. Trouble with old iron is its only really worth something if it runs, otherwise it's all time and parts that builds the value. A respectable paint job with good (not Mylar) reproduction decals is worth around $500 for a cub.