broke my grinder last night

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by GREENCOUNTYPETE, Dec 12, 2006.

1. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

So i have an electric grinder that a bought at farm and fleet 2 years ago
    i think the brand was back to the basics so genraly china junk but i thought
    i would give it a try

it worked ok i was not impressed with the speed but it was ok

so total i have ground a few things last year hams salad turkey salad
    this year 2 deer 1 was made into brats so i added 20 lb pork

well not quiet 1/3 of the way in to the second deer i did the first on thanks giving and the second last night the bushing came apart and ended up in the cutter this magled the cutter and i finished the deer with the small grinder on the kitchen aid mixed not fast but it works

so what do you use for grinders i don't think it is worth trying to get parts for this one like my wife said it would cost 70 dollars a deer to have someone else proccess so the 30 for that grinder still saved us money
    i realize that i will need to spend quite a bit more for a decent grinder but it is time although i am definitly on a budget i would liek one that will stuff sausage and one i can get parts for but if anyone has a connection for used that would be good.

thanks , Pete

2. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

Do an e bay earch for a used one. Remember if it is used buyer beware. Lets see $70.00 a deer 2 deer a year thats $140 a year. A good grinder will last a long time, so they are money well spent for even a middle of the road one NEW.

:D Al

3. elkhound

elkhound Well-Known Member Supporter

check out the sporting goods section at wal-mart.i got one for 67 bucks.so far i ground 2 deer with it and it works pretty good.it also is 575 watts...most of the small grinders i looked at was only 400watts.it also has the suasage stuffer with it.

4. AlaOutlaw

AlaOutlaw Well-Known Member

I got a 1200 watt grinder with sausage stuffer and several extras off ebay brand new for $100. It really does the job and it grinds soft bones like chicken and rabbit bones real well.

5. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Gander Mountain has all meat-processing gear on sale right now through Saturday. At least 20% off. The one I glanced at recently was a #8 and just over $100. Bargain at that price and even better at 20% off. Drive up Saturday and check it out!

The one I use is a Maverick, model MM6386, #8, made in Poland. Bought it from Sausage Maker sometime in the mid-1980s for probably $60-$70. That thing is heavy for its size and hasn't given me a bit of trouble after well over 100 deer. For a long time, it was almost impossible to find additional #8 plates and knives. Now that's the common size for home electric grinders.

Martin

6. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

i went to my local restraunt supply store and they recomended an
    American Eagle they stock the 1 hp ae-g12n
    looks like they are out of chicago
    sounds like they carry parts and it uses the hobart hub so any hobart atachment will fit
    but they also quoted me 425 so it will have to wait a while

http://www.americaneaglemachine.com/products/grinder.html

i realy wish there were an independent body to check what some of these companies rate thier products at one of the #8s i looked at claimed it could 400 pounds of meat an hour
    the grinder i had (back to the basics 4500) said it was rated for 1 to 2 pounds a minute i could never get much more than a 3/4 pound a minute and that was putting perfectly cut up port peices in it .
    venison i felt like it was about 1/2 pound per minute at best
    and it was rated at 800 watts but most of the reviews i found say it runs more like a 200 watt
    and they say it can run continuosly but boy does it get hot and start to smell
    if you do so i would shut it off after 20 minuutes or so when it felt hot