broke a nail

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jena, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

yesterday i actually went out and did some work. i had to move all the chicken pens to a new area for the new batch of birds. i pull them with the atv and i was able to do it. it felt so good to do something constructive.

when i got home i thought i should make sure my wounds were good and clean so i was going to wash a few dishes. i hit the side of the sink and broke the nail off my poor index finger.

all i can say is....ye-oww! ok, i said a few more things, but i can't write them here.

doc told me that the nail was just stitched over the wound to protect the nail bed and it's not a big deal as far as my prognosis goes, just now my nail bed is exposed at it will " hurt like heck" (his words). it sure does. i have to go let him see it monday. he said not to stick the nail back on because of risk of infection.

couldn't get to sleep until 5am so now it's 2pm and i just woke up. back to continuous dope.

be very, very, very careful. i'm telling you....this accident is the biggest pain and inconvenience! it's not worth taking short-cuts!!!

jena

2. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

Jena, please be careful. You do not want an infection to set-in. Your healing will go back to zero and you will have to start all over. You had a major accident give yourself time to heal. I know it stinks but so does life sometimes.
    Time wasters: 1. look at all the profiles for all the members. 2. look at all the posts for all well liked posters. 3. look at all the posts for all non-liked posters. 4. google search for family member, neighbors, etc. Have Fun

BTW nice pix of your injured hand on your WWW

3. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Aiiiyeeee! :eek:
    Baby it, and hang in there. One day, you'll be healed.

4. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Nice title, BTW. I glanced at it and thought, "What--somebody's posting about breaking a nail?!"

5. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

ummmmm.............uhhhhhhhhh, enough is enough, FOR THE LOVE OF MIKE, KNOCK IT OFF JENA, QUIT YOUR WHINING..........IN THE BREADTH AND SCOPE OF HUMAN TRAGIDIES YOUR'S IS WAY DOWN THE LIST, WE FEEL YOU YOU, BUT THE WORLD DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND YOU!!!! Sorry, just needed saying

6. Tinknal,

Shame on you!

7. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

Yes I am cranky today but for the love of god what does this have to do about homesteading? Real homesteaders would not have long enough fingernails to break as they would be working EVERYDAY and would have no need for long fingernails. Give me a break!! :rolleyes:

Try working with a broken wrist in 5 places and a broken ankle at the same time. Yes, happened to me a couple years ago and I still managed not to post on a HOMSTEADING FORUM and WHINE :(

8. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:rolleyes:

Having been through a similar kind of injury, I know I surely appreciate Jena's willingness and ability to talk about what's happened. My response when it happened to me was *I have to ignore it because if I pay any attention to it, it will become as bad as I'm afraid it will be* - stupid, I know, but there you are.

So reading her posts is really helpful for me --- although I wish I could have read them when it happened to me.

And if they're helpful for me, I know they're helpful for other people.

I also know exactly how badly these kinds of injuries hurt -- I remember banging that hand against a few things and almost vomiting from the pain. :no: Someone told me back then that the number of nerve endings in the fingers accounts for the sheer intensity of the pain - it's very different from injuries to your legs, for example (which i have mucho of :rolleyes: ) - these kinds of injuries hurt as bad as it can hurt just about.

IOW, post away, Jena! You're helping me so i know you're helping others --- and you're helping yourself at the same time! :)

BTW , GET THAT HAND OVER YOUR HEAD AND KEEP IT THERE -- it will diminish the pain exponentially, i promise!

9. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

I managed a whole day's canning WHILE I WAS ON FIRE, for gawsakes!!!!!! A REAL homesteader don't NEED skin!!!!!!! GET A GRIP!!!!!!!!!!!! OH, YOU CAN'T, YOUR HAND'S BROKE!!!!!! </sarcasm>

Dealing with injuries is a part of homesteading, I think. Jena's doing admirably.

10. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Tracy, Jena got her hand caught in a piece of machinery last week or so and lost a finger, had some grafted back on, and her hand is in really bad shape. It's not just your typical nail breaking!!

11. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

I apologize,ike I said being cranky this week. I did not catch the earlier post. I have delt with comuter problems the last 3 days and when I was finally able to get online this was the first place I came. Jenna, hope you heal fast. :)

12. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

that's ok. i was trying to be funny with my title...trust mr, i have no long nails!

i will cut out the whining though. i'm gonna go try and feed the chickens now...

jena

13. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................The Pshchological component of pain is MUCH more bearable if shared with those who empathsize with the "sufferer". And, we have ALL suffered some kind of Pain that would be somewhat "UNbearable" if we had to "go it alone". That's ONE reason that Makes "it" important for Jena too share her "pain experience" with those who have suffered such previously. Plus, it is a proven fact that you heal faster when your friends want you too Get better because your pain is THEIR Pain. Me Casa.........Su Casa......
    ................The Second , and MOST important Facet of this "Pain Posting" is that there are alot folks on this website who are going to BE much more conscientious before Exposing their fingers too potential damage and will probably therefore take Extra Care when working around machinery. And, you really can't give anybody the "the finger" if it's had the end cut off. Either givem the full monty or K'nuthin.......fordy.... :eek: :) ;)

14. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Jena I always say if you didn't Pee your Pants it didn't hurt that bad. :haha: :p
    Keep an eye on it don't let it get Infection.

big rockpile

15. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
    Work is the best medicine. Jena, just keep on keeping on. Don't let this get you down. Push yourself back to your normal pace as quickly as possible. You'll heal much quicker by fulfilling your vocation.

God Bless,

Michael

16. apirlawz

apirlawz playing in the dirt

Jena, you keep on talking!!! That's what friends are for!! You need to cope with your pain, loss and frustration by talking about it, and we are all learning from your experience!! Besides, the "breaking a nail" subject was kinda funny!! :D And, with all the extra time you've got now, it's either us or the bottle!! :eek: :haha:

Take care!
    April

17. apirlawz

apirlawz playing in the dirt

You nailed it, fordy! I think about Jena every day, and I can tell you that I'm much more aware and careful in everything I do. Since we bought our woodburner, that is a good thing because I'm awfully new with this chainsaw of mine! Thank you Jena! :worship:

April

18. Amy Jo

Amy Jo Well-Known Member

Jena, you are a very naughty girl! And of course, most of us are just as naughty because so many have said, "take it easy, don't rush to do too much, etc." And just like most of us.. you're jumping the gun. This is good, as it means you aren't sitting around feeling sorry for yourself... but bad because you're hurting yourself!

My husband gets REALLY freaked out when someone breaks a nail back behind the skin line... just hearing someone broke a nail "to where it hurts" will give him heebie jeebies... So, I'm keeping your story "on tap" for the next time he needs me to "get him" tee hee...

He once ran his fingers around the wheel of a piece of tracked machinery... skinned them... ouch! but didn't do the damage you did. He was very lucky!

So, finish feeding your chickens, go to the library and get a good book, pick up some ice cream and sit your fanny down until you're a little better! No dishes!! Dishwater has to be full of bacteria - get an excuse from your doctor and hand it to the appropriate family member with orders to "do the dishes"! :)

You are often in my thoughts. I hope you heal up well, and soon!

19. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

Jena , i am so sorry i know this hurts like the dickens, i know it will heal , keep your hand above your heart, just like you would with a sprain , and try not to do a lot of fast work , any increase in blood pressure will make it throb!!!
    i speak from experience, its a terrible wounding !
    good luck, keep it clean and free from infection!
    Beth

20. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

Only sympathy here ... our 7//y/o DD is recovering from getting her finger crushed/broken while riding on skid loader. (Followed by surgery to insert pins and stitch it all up, and massive doses of antibiotics and pain meds.) Fortunately for her, it was her pinkie. If it had been one of the more-often used fingers she would have been in a lot worse shape.

I am amazed at how much impact a "minor" injury had!

We also took note that Jena got hurt with a feed-bunk conveyer (is that right?) which was a cautionary note to the rest of the family. Last week one of our neighbors got his shirt caught in the silo unloader (auger that runs around on a track inside the silo) and got ripped up pretty bad. He feels lucky to be alive.

The thing to do when we hear about an incident like Jena's or DD's is to learn from it. We have to learn from the mistakes of others, we won't live long enough to make them all ourselves!

Best regards,
    Ann