broccoli needs help

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by punkrockpilot, Mar 15, 2004.

1. punkrockpilot

punkrockpilot Well-Known Member

Hi, my name is Greg and this is my first post in the gardening forum. I am trying broccoli for the first time, I transplanted some to my garden and most started flowering immediatly. Is there anything I can do???

2. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

No. Once they flower they are dying and trying to produce seeds. They got stressed for some reason when you transplanted. Start again and be sure to use Spring broccoli (early) not the Fall varieties (long growing times)

3. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

What zone are you in? Here in Central Texas (zone 8) this is the wrong time of year to plant broccoli. We plant it in the fall.
    mary

4. Earthbound

Earthbound Well-Known Member

Yep, they're bolting. As said above , start over and make sure your variety is correct. if I were you I'd save one and let go to seed and collect them for future plantings.
    corry

5. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Yes, no, maybe! They should not die just because they've gone to seed. But forget the idea of trying to get a nice compact head. There indeed are types which make only a small head and then produce florets the rest of the season. And that season may be 3 months long as long as you keep removing them as they form and before the burst into flowers. Remember what each of those little green things are. They are unopened flowers.

Here's what to do now. Cut those flower stalks off. Be cruel and take them down to the first regular leaf. They continue to grow more flower stalks and form numerous small clusters that may only be an inch or so wide. Keep cutting them off and eating them. Should you miss a few days and suddenly a floret is yellow with flowers, cut it off or the plant will stop producing.

The entire plant will still continue to grow taller and taller. At some time, perhaps two months from now, cut the plant off about 18" off the ground. Stem may be an inch thick but if there are a half dozen or so leaves left, the plant will send up a few shoots from the base of the uppermost leaves and produce even more florets.

You got nothing to lose by taking my advice even though I can only attest that it's always worked up here. Otherwise, wait until fall and plant a variety which is slow to bolt.

Martin