Broccoli and spinach question??

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by BillyGoat, May 9, 2006.

1. BillyGoat

BillyGoat Well-Known Member

This year is the first year I have planted Broccoli and also spinach. I have a question on both. If someone can help me soon, I would really, really aprreciate it!

Spinach; My spinach looks really good, full and healthy. The past few days the top part has shot up and is becoming stalky. Do you cut back this stalky part so it continues to be full? and where is the best place to cut it? :shrug:

Broccoli; Where do the broccoli heads form? Down at the base or up a ways in the middle of the plant??? My broccoli is big but I don't have any heads started on it yet. Is there anything that needs to be done to broccoli, such as trimming or anything? :shrug:

Thanks in advance!! :)

2. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Your spinach is bolting. The stalk is where the seeds will form. You can cut it back hard and hope for new growth, but it might be bitter.

You don't have to do anything with broccoli until it's time to cut the main head. Then you watch for the side shoots. Some varieties have excellent side shoots while others are few and far between.

www.farm-garden.com/growing-vegetables has a lot of information on growing vegetables.

3. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

Since the broccoli head is actually the flowerbuds all in a bunch, don't wait too long to cut the head or they will open to little yellow florets.

4. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Something I've noticed about broccoli: The stuff I grow seems to be stronger flavored than the stuff I get at the store. Too strong, actually, until I process it (blanche and freeze).

Man, THAT can certainly get the house a little stinky -- near as bad as kraut.

Which reminds me that I just polished off the last jar of homemade kraut. Think I'll go check out that thread looking for kraut recipes.

Pony!

5. BillyGoat

FarmMom and Marcia....thanks for the information!

I don't have to worry about the broccoli (flowerettes)head flowering out, I don't even have broccoli head starting!! LOL

I will check that site!! :)

Dee

6. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

dear Billy goat, your spinach is trying to flower and go to seed, break off the stalk and it will keep a few more days.
    you will notice how the broccoli head forms, when you cut off the head do not pull out the plant, you will get a bunch of little sideshoots later on.

7. BillyGoat

Thanks gals!!!

Tabitha.........oh man!!! I haven't even started eating the spinach yet!! It is already going to go bad now that it is forming stalk(for seeds)?? Think we are going to have alot of salads this week!! :rolleyes: LOL

Can you can spinach, I have never done that?