Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm busy nipping/blanching florets for freezing Broccoli and Cauliflower and it just occurred to me how much I like the little stems attached to the florets and thought what a waste it would be to toss the bigger stems/stalks.

After just a minute or two of researching uses for these, I found they make a delicious broccoli/potato soup. Anyone have any other good ways to make use of these separate from the florets? I just harvested 12-15 prime heads of each with another hundred+ to go later.

I did prep the bigger stalks a bit differently, before giving them a blanch I shaved the outer skins and diced em up into 1/2" slices. Even at that, they seem very tender. With so many heads coming in, I need a few good uses

TIA, Jack

T

·
0 Posts
I use them, and asparagus stalks, etc. For soup stock. The extended cooking makes them edible-er.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I always eat the stems with the heads, peeling the bigger ones and cutting them smaller so they cook. But soups sound like a great use for them.

When I was a kid I only ate the stalks and my brother only ate the florets! Worked out well.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Our dogs think those broccoli stalks are a big treat when I slice them and feed them to them like they are dog biscuits.

I chop, blanch and bag/freeze them too for soup, works good when you want to whip up a quick pot.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like I have a lot of broccoli base for soup to go along with my asparagus trimmings :)

I will be experimenting though...try some stalk hearts with scrambled eggs, stir fry and maybe some slaw. Any other ideas out there, I'll take em. This harvest should last at least a few more weeks as the smaller heads plump up

Thanks for the replies so far...

Jack

·
Registered
703 Posts
My dogs love them too!

If you want to stick to people food, try peeling then grating the stalks. With a little grated carrot and cabbage, or just on their own, they make a great slaw.I make up a sweet mayonnaise and vinegar dressing for it. Yummy.

·
Registered
507 Posts
With broccoli I peal the stalks cut them into matchsticks and stirfry them, they are not tough at all, cauliflower was put on this earth to give me something to hate.. so I have no recipes for that!

Reactions: Jhn56

·
Registered
244 Posts
I dice and blanch all stems and throw them in the freezer to use in our omelette every day. I do half heartedly peel the big tough stem peels. From a 5 pound head we usually only lose 3-4 ounces to the compost pail!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts