Broadcast and Cover Carrot and Onion Seeds?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by gilberte, Sep 22, 2006.

1. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

We plant our carrots in a raised wide row of about three feet wide. Then we put the carrot seeds in an old spice bottle with a shaker top. Put a teaspoon or so of sand in with the seeds, mix, and then just shake over the row. Cover them up by just pulling a light cover of soil up from the side of the row with a rake.

Never tried onions like this (we start ours indoors in Feb.) but I bet it would work in the right growing zone.

2. dheat

dheat Well-Known Member

gilberte,

thanks for the input. Curious: why the tsp of sand?

Thanks again,

Doug

3. gilberte

It helps with spacing the seed out a little better.

4. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Doug--what part of the country are youlacated in --that could make a difference.

We always broadcast our carrot seed in wide rows, then sprinkle on some radish seeds as a marker as the plants come up, cover with an old bedsheet to help retain moisture--we want the soil damp continuously until the carrots are up.

Onion seed I always start inside, and transplant in wide rows, to avoid the tedious job of weeding around sprouting onions. Using transplants, even though they look like tiny grass sprouts, means that by the time it is necessary to weed them, they have gotten bigger than the weeds and are more easilyl identified as onions.

5. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

The problem I have found with broadcasting carrot seeds is any time saved with it, is lost when it come times to thin them. i use a 4 foot wide bed with 7 rows of carrots going long ways. Easier to thin.
    In zone 5 we start onions inside in february and put out in April.

6. gilberte

We don't bother to thin the carrots and we always get more than we can use from a single packet.