Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question...I have wireless broadband where a small box is attached to the exterior of the house with another piece placed inside which has the cable used to connect the computer. The transmitter (or whatever it's called) outside is wireless - points to an antennae located about 1/2 mile from my house on a grain elevator. Recently I have not been able to upload to photobucket 9 times out of 10 attempts. During these times, I also cannot publish my website. I've not been able to determine whether it's photobucket or if it's my internet. When I have tried to see that the LAN is working properly, every indication is that it is. (In the control panel) It says that the speed is 10 Mbps. I've Emailed tech. support without a response. I'm not sure how else to tell what's going on. How do I determine where the problem lies? Oh, incidentally, I shut down my firewall to be sure that that was not the problem.

Second part to this is that I'm planning on getting a laptop. I'd like to be able to connect to the Internet while at work approx. 8 miles from home. According to what I've been able to determine by looking at wireless routers and talking to a few folks, I'll have to actually get a wireless laptop card from a cell provider & pay a monthly internet fee. My dilemma lies in whether I should stick with the Internet at home on my 4+ year old PC where I'm not able to upload photos with any regularity, or go ahead and shut the home connection off and stick with the laptop for internet. Not wanting to have to pay for both. I do have an external hard drive that I keep all of my files on.

What are the pros and cons of going strictly laptop as far as internet connection and availability are concerned?

·
Premium Member
3,971 Posts
Well, I might suggest you get the system at home fixed. If your paying for it, it should work.

If your in an area with coverage the wireless cards from various cell companies is nice. You might also look at some of the home routers that will also accept the card that way when you come you put the card on a router for your home systems and when you travel you plug it into a laptop.

Keep in mind the cell provided wireless is NOT wifi and the cards are cell provider specfiic and dont work in all areas.

·
Rockin In The Free World
1,058 Posts
Do you know the price and restrictions for the cell internet service in your area? If not, you may want to check it out - they tend to be quite pricey and quite restrictive - i.e. monthly cost plus additional charges per mb upload, download etc. Speed may also be an issue.

Can you get wired broadband where you work? If so, it would most likely be much cheaper and much faster than cell service.

Also - if you cannot upload to Photobucket and cannot publish your website - something tells me its not a Photobucket issue since you're having problems elsewhere (wherever you're hosting your website).

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Is the component on the grain elevator a satellitte dish? If so, I do know that satelitte is affected by weather. If not happening when cloudy/raining- it could be one of several things.

First- check with your provider about if they have an FAP- it is a limit they set for downloads and such. I was surprised to find I had one- and that was only after I had exceeded it- and found out by searching my providers site- after seeing it mentioned on the DSL boards.

Second- it could be the way the system is beamed- if it is off a bit, it can cause issues. I would assume since the issue is not just with one website- that it is your provider. Wireless through cell phones is really pricey. You can get a wireless card for a lap top (though most newer laptops have them installed already) or home computer- they are not expensive. Then if you set up a wireless router (under $50 for a decent one online), you have the freedom to roam around home and even outside. I know even my neighbors can tap into our connection- we had to block them as they were throwing us into FAP. Most DSL services- sattellite or not have a way to check your consumption- watch that and see if someone is using the connection you are paying for.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. everyone...gives me a few things to look into next week when I have a day or two off.

·
Premium Member
3,971 Posts
There is a BIG difference between cell phone internet and the newer broadband cellular internet. The cell phone internet was basically a slow speed modem over phone.The new broadband services are much faster, but tend to be pricey $60-80/mth plus they have a limited service area.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My brother has one of the broadband cellular cards and his works fairly well out this way and his monthly fee is equivalent to what I pay for my wireless broadband. I think it's Sprint.

What I planned was just to drop the home service completely and switch to this type when I got a laptop. I'll have to see...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts