Bring'n Does In Season

Discussion in 'Goats' started by AllWolf, Oct 6, 2006.

1. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

How do lots of you bring does in season without a buck being on your land? :shrug:

I have beeing trying over and over to bring my does in season so they can be breed by my best friends bucks but so far only 2 have came in season and the 2 that has came in season isn't going to be breed and my others ones none has came in yet..

I have a stinky buck rag to let them smell to help but still not luck. I'm being to think it the weather here but this will be my first main season to try bring'n in does in season to be breed and no buck here.

Maybe some can be of some help or give a advice. I'm hoping I can get mine breed soon and next year will have also my own bucks to use..

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

2. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Does will come into season whether or not there's a buck nearby - the only trick is in detecting it! The buck rag should help there.

The two that I bred last year didn't really come into strong heat until December. This year I have a nice stinky buck that they have to pass by every time I milk, and I can't honestly say that either one has really shown much interest in him - he thinks they are wonderful, though, but then he also thought the young buck and young wether that I put in with him were pretty cute too. :rolleyes:

Short of injecting hormones, I don't think you can do anything to bring them into heat. Nature will take its course.

3. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

why not eather bring the does to the buck or the buck to the does so they can do what THEY KNOW to do rather you trying to keep such a firm grip on things,

we as humans cannot "bring into heat" anything, we have to work with what works, some people are able to manipulate does with very reccognisable heats with a buck rag and get them EMEDIATLY to a buck,

some use a teaser buck,

most keep bucks around at the right times at least or send them to the bucks and let the buck do his triks,

why are you not breeding the does that came into heat? is there a reason your wasting a season on them? if they are Milk goats they eather need to bekept in production to keep from being over weight and loosing capacity.

i would increase Protien in their diet as a starting point

4. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

I have noticed most my does when they start coming to heat get VERY cranky with one and other and tend to fight alot more. Also when one comes in heat it seems the rest follow VERY quickly. I do have a few does who are "silent
    when in heat which is very frustrating if you don't have a buck on your place.

As the people before me suggested a buck rag would help with that. Anyway you could borrow your friends buck or maybe have the does over there for a few days? I know how frustrating it is when they seem to not be coming into heat :grump: . I am lucky to have my own bucks here but even then I sometimes have to keep the buck with the doe(s) and even then I don't always see the "Deed" done but always see the results :) .

MotherClucker

5. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Reason I'm not breeding the two that has came in season I do not have a buck their size. They are pygmys goats and the ones I'm trying to bring in season are my Nubian and Lamacha's. I feed my does goat sweet feed mixed with all kinds of things in it alone with alfalfa pellets and caf Manna. They have been wormed and get plenty of hay alone with browse everyday with lots of clean fresh water. I'm planning on later this coming up spring to buy a buck for my smaller does and breed them.

I wished I had a buck at my place but right off I didn't get my buck pen finished so I can get one. So have to wait until next year to get the bucks I need. So I'm going to use my best friend bucks but we was hopeing by using a buck rag they would come in season the first round and wait 21 days for the second time of season then breed them. If don't come in soon I may end up asking can they come and pick them up and keep at their place for a while. I can't wait until next year to get all my buck pens finished and have my own.. Maybe Just Maybe they will come in season soon. Heck my pygmys goats is not trouble to get in season.. Just have to keep at it.. LOL.. :)

6. FarmGoddess

FarmGoddess Well-Known Member

I've got two lovesick does hanging over my fence baaaing their fool heads off even as I type, only they're still a bit on the small side and I don't want to breed them just yet.

Which means on the other side of the yard I've got four lovesick bucks haning over their fence making goo goo eyes at the does in heat.

Wouldn't be so bad, except my youngest buck, who has never been bred, seems to think he's missing out on something and won't shut up. If you heard him you wold think he was being tortured. I'm about ready to go out and feed him a big old spoonfull of peanut butter to see if he'll shut up for five minutes../