Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got a notice from the utility company that they want to put in natural gas pipes down our road. The buy in is $7000, which of course we can finance at 8% thru them. If they don't get enough people to commit then it won't go through.

Has anyone done this, or waited it out so that they didn't have to buy in? Eventually natural gas would be nice but right now the only thing on propane is our boiler. Everything else is electric.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
So if you do the math, how many years can you buy propane for 7 grand plus 8%?

If you did get gas, how much would you convert from electric to gas, and if you do, how long do you think you could run it all off 7K of propane?

Sure seems almost like highway robbery at those prices and at that kind of interest..

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha based on two years ago's winter, I could get about 3 years worth of heat with it. :( We have wood heat now.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Well.. wood heat costs you money too, not to mention a lot of work to get the wood, unless you buy it all..

Even if you wait them out, more than likely even if you decide to hook up in 4 years, a fair chance they will still be charging the same prices..

I used to have a house that was on well.. They were doing the same in the area with water. I said no way would I pay their prices (in the thousands too). Ended up glad I didn't... Ended up selling the place because with the water came a lot more people and houses... We let the new owner put in he water.. We wouldn't have gained the water connection price back in the sale of the house..

Only you can decide if the price is worth it to you or not, but as far as the connection fees, you usually can't wait those out..

·
Premium Member
6,622 Posts
Funny you should bring up this topic as I am going thru the same thing right now. We opted to buy in and our share is around $2700.00, but that was only the beginning of it. Once the meter was set, we had to have all the gas lines in the house re-worked from 3/8" copper tubing, which wasn't to code anyway, to black pipe. Then I have to re-work the dryer to natural gas and replace the hot water heater, because, according to the furnace man, can't be converted. The furnace, which I just put in last fall, has to be converted to natural gas,too. But the real expense is running the gas line to the pole barn and converting that furnace to natural gas. My total will be around $7000.

BTW, your total for buy-in depends on how many people participate and how far the gas company has to run lines to your house.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Here in WV I am just finishing up installing natural gas to my house. the run is 550 feet. It has cost a little over 800.00 so far and it is ready to be tested and turned on.
I rented a backhoe and dug the trench myself. bought a roll of the yellow gas line 1" and a roll of 14 gauge stranded copper wire and a roll of caution gas line tape. a few gas fittings and got it all hooked up. if there are no leaks we will be good to go. This is all done to the gas company's specs.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Here in WV I am just finishing up installing natural gas to my house.
Here in WV I got free gas in my house :trollface

It's the wood I have to burn when it gets too cold that I really have to pay for.. all the tools to get it, and all the time and gas getting it to the wood stove.. Plus I have to have the wood as backup in case my free gas isn't available... (That's a long story, but not been an issue yet thankfully.)

Kinda funny though... my free water in the well isn't so cheap.... but yet my free gas really does cost me nothing... I was lucky and everything was in place, but I do have to change out the fluid in the separator.. I just put in a gallon of free methanol a friend who races gave me... It was old fuel he couldn't use, but it works great in my separator..

·
Registered
584 Posts
Our electric company is considering running a natural gas line down our road. My husband and I have already decided we are not going to hook up for several reasons.

1. The immediate cost of changing all the gas appliances from LP to natural gas.

2. And this is the main reason, here in Indiana, most of the electric utilities burn coal to create electricity. The federal government is trying to do away with coal generated electricity. They are going to rely more heavily on natural gas. I look for natural gas prices to rise substantially in the future.

We haven't heard what the hook up charge will be.

No thanks.

·
Premium Member
41,120 Posts
I brought natural gas to our house about 7 years ago. It cost us around 2 grand for all the pipe, regulators, fittings and getting the line buried but it was well worth it. We have been using that marvelous free gas to heat and cook with ever since!

·
Premium Member
41,120 Posts
The gas itself is definitely not free. Where are you guys getting free gas from?!
I was out one day shootin at some food... and up from the ground came a bubblin...

Ok, not quite that easy, but yes our gas is indeed free. About twenty years ago, (before I bought this farm) an oil company drilled for gas and hit several pretty good wells in this area... one of them happened to be on this farm. Being crooks who had oversold shares, they immediately abandoned the wells and let their mineral lease revert back to the land owners. For me it was just a matter of connecting to the well head, installing a regulator at the well to cut the pressure from 100+ down to 10 lbs, running a 1 inch line to the house... 1500 ft of line, then another regulator to cut the pressure down from 10 pounds to about a half pound for household use. There was also a separator tank I had to build to catch the liquid "white gas" so it doesnt make its way from the well to the house.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
"white gas"
Here that's called drip gas... People used to run their cars on it, but that became illegal.. (road taxes not paid) If you get caught running it now, it's a pretty hefty fine I hear... .You can tell instantly if someone is running it from the exhaust smell.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was out one day shootin at some food... and up from the ground came a bubblin...

Ok, not quite that easy, but yes our gas is indeed free. About twenty years ago, (before I bought this farm) an oil company drilled for gas and hit several pretty good wells in this area... one of them happened to be on this farm. Being crooks who had oversold shares, they immediately abandoned the wells and let their mineral lease revert back to the land owners. For me it was just a matter of connecting to the well head, installing a regulator at the well to cut the pressure from 100+ down to 10 lbs, running a 1 inch line to the house... 1500 ft of line, then another regulator to cut the pressure down from 10 pounds to about a half pound for household use. There was also a separator tank I had to build to catch the liquid "white gas" so it doesnt make its way from the well to the house.
Fair enough! :hohum:

Our utility company is definitely going to charge us for ours :) Plus we would have to retrofit our boiler to run off natural gas. I don't think that would be too terribly expensive ... but I think I might just wait it out. Eventually we will need a new dryer, and update our kitchen. We could use gas then. Now would be silly.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
From what I am hearing you say, after you consider all of your expenses in addition to the buy in price, you're well over $10K for gas... I'd have to think WAY long and hard before I considered that kind of expense, especially if I was already keeping warm for a lot less money..

·
Premium Member
3,179 Posts
We refuse to "hook-up" to any utility company lines that aren't already present on our land. So far, the only one we are hooked to is electric.
If they drill on your land, you might be able to get free gas, but letting them bring lines to your land is costly - they get rich - and you end up paying out the nose converting and paying them to use their gas for the rest of the time you live in your house.

The County created a Rural Water district and tried to get us to hook up to that. The buy in was $500 and the bill was only supposed to be about $30 per month. We never bought into it. Later we found out they used cheap and easy materials to run the lines and the people who hooked up to it had nothing but problems for about 3 years, then RWD went broke. The only option at that point was for them to sell out. They finally sold to a local Indian Tribe who updated the equipment, replaced the broken lines and takes good care of it now, from what I've heard.

IMO - unless you're going to get the gas for free, it wouldn't be worth the investment and you'll end up a slave to the Gas company.

·
Still an :censored:
15,870 Posts
Do not look for natural gas to go up. Hubby works in the oil and gas industry, and this country is awash in abundant natural gas.

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/b...natural-gas-reserves-hit-record.html?page=all
We may be on the verge of seeing a replay of the early nineties when natural gas prices jumped. The combustion turbines that will be the heart of the new power plants burn lots of natural gas. The other aspect is we are well down the road to exporting natural gas to markets where the price is much higher.

Based on the time to build a natural gas fired plant, there's a good chance two years from now, people will wonder what happened to the cheap gas.

·
Still an :censored:
15,870 Posts
Here in WV I got free gas in my house :trollface

It's the wood I have to burn when it gets too cold that I really have to pay for.. all the tools to get it, and all the time and gas getting it to the wood stove.. Plus I have to have the wood as backup in case my free gas isn't available... (That's a long story, but not been an issue yet thankfully.)

Kinda funny though... my free water in the well isn't so cheap.... but yet my free gas really does cost me nothing... I was lucky and everything was in place, but I do have to change out the fluid in the separator.. I just put in a gallon of free methanol a friend who races gave me... It was old fuel he couldn't use, but it works great in my separator..
Keep some methanol on hand in case the lines freeze.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts