Briggs and Straton downdraft carb

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by TNHermit, Mar 28, 2006.

1. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

I have an old "Billy Goat" lawn sweeper that has a 11 horse Briggs on it. The downdraft carb is always out of tune. Does anybody know of something I can replace it with.

TIA

2. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Cant you adjust it?

3. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Not specifically. And if you do will have to make sure governor linkage works with your replacement. But know what you mean. Had an old 8hp B/S. Had to have it set one way when cold or it would backfire, but then too rich when it warmed up. And yes I replaced gaskets thinking it had air leak. In reality just crappy engineering. Had to reach over and turn screw to lean out the jet. Then go through whole thing next time I used it. Good reason to own a Honda.

4. dennisjp

dennisjp dennisjp

A lot of time the adjustment screw loosens up because of the vibrations. If you can get it adjusted and it will work for a short period of time and then starts getting worse and worse, you could try some Lock-Tight on it. Get it running right, cut it off and then unscrew the screw, counting every turn and put lock-tight on it and screw it back in "quikly", start it again and adjust it, "quickly"
    so it will set at the right place. Sometimes just a new spring will fix it.

5. dodgetkboy78

dodgetkboy78 Active Member

Or just stretch the old spring.
    When you say out of tune, what is it doing?