Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
about time to redeck a 28ft span bridge,,,it has has had 3by 8 ruff cut lumber.
probably been 15 years since last time...
is there anything that would be better last longer and cost effective....?

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
Here is a bridge I reworked. Previously it had a locust plank deck but it did not hold up as I anticipated. This pic is after I removed and cleaned the steel and did a repaint. Afterward I located some small steel I beams that were welded to the main support beams. Thus far this has held nicely. PS.....Since this pic was taken I have done some concrete work on a ramps on each end of the bridge.

·
My name is not Alice
4,185 Posts
It is nice to see well done farm infrastructure that will last decades. Keep that bar raised high, agmantoo, it drives the rest of us to do a better job.

·
Still an :censored:
15,870 Posts
Quite a few in this area use pipe. If you can get it, white oak will last longer than red oak. Best yet if you live in a coastal area, you should be able to find a business that sells piling and timbers to dock builders and bulkheaders. Marine grade CCA treated lumber will still be there 50 years from now. That's the 2.5 lb/cf treatment, not the .4 or .6 lb/cf that used to be sold by the box stores. That's the stuff that scared the EPA who feared kid were chewing on playground equipment made from it. So the EPA decided to make it difficult for consumers to buy.

The marine grade has so much more arsenic forced into it, kids would probably get poisoned by it with one glance. You can tell by the dark greenish almost blackish color of the treated lumber that it's the marine grade.

·
in memoriam
12,697 Posts
If it is used for foot traffic or a AYV then use the molded 5 quarter deck stuff.

:D Al

1 - 5 of 5 Posts