Brewing your own biodiesel

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by CountyAgent, Sep 20, 2006.

1. CountyAgent

CountyAgent Member

I have information from the internet on making your own biodiesel from waste vegetable oil. A friend of mine is asking about making it from animal offal from the local slaughterhouse. How does the first process translate to the second?

Would you just render it, strain it and proceed as in Option A?

2. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

Yes.

Our eldest son has been running his pickup truck from Waste-oil [mostly lard] for a couple years now.

You can go ahead and 'process' it with the lye and remove the glycerine if you want to though.

3. The Paw

The Paw Well-Known Member

Yes you can use the animal fat, but I found using the lye and methanol meant keeping too much hazardous stuff around.

you may want to go to a site called greasecar.com. They sell kits to convert diesels to straight vegetable oil (SVO) without futzing around with methanol, lye or any of the other stuff. Basically, it works on a two tank system with a solenoid switch. The veggie oil tank has a rad coil looped through it. The engine runs on conventional diesel until the heat from the coil liquifies the oil, then you switch over to veggy. It switches back a few minutes before you shut down, so that the veggie oil doesn't congeal in the fuel injection. Slightly higher front end investment, way easier to manage on a day to day basis.

4. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I bought a conversion kit from greasecar. I found it very problematic to install in my 97 F 250, and I heard from ford dealership diesel mechanics that later ford diesels dont do well on veggie oil. The injectors are $700 each in the 7.3 so I sold the kit. I recomend a bit of research for ford diessel owners before buying alternative fuels, or kits.

I plan on buying an older cummins diesel engine, or get a nissan diesel from a scout, and building a veggie oil, or used engine oil burning pickup.

5. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

Few 'universal kits' are going to be perfect for all models.

Overall diesel engines are far more forgiving of variations in fuel than newer gasoline engines.

I have a 50 Willy that will run on anything.

I once had a 63 Rambler Classic wagon with the aluminum head, it would run on kerosene, alcohol, or just about any other flammable liquid.

But later gasoline vehicle engines don't do that.

After smog-control was required, and the engines were tweaked, they generally lost that ability. Now that they have been tweaked yet again to run without lead, we must be very cautious of what we put into the tank.

Back to diesel; My son's VW Jetta seems to be fine on waste-oil [combination of veggie and lard] must cut it with diesel to keep it fluid though. 10% in the summer, and 20% in the winter.

6. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter