Breeds of dogs - instead of an American Cocker?

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by Al Yaz, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Al Yaz

Al Yaz Well-Known Member

I know this is like asking what the best motor oil is, but... my sister has had two American Cockers and is looking for another dog. She was initially looking at an Aussie, but has come to the conclusion (misguided in my opinion as we have two) that they are too high strung, require too much exercise, etc.

Both of her Cockers haven’t lived past ten and both have been so ‘bird focused’ that I don’t think they have been the best pet for her. I will support whatever breed she wants but I would like to suggest some smaller breed dogs that are intelligent without too many breeding issues, etc.

I suggested a Papillon to her.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

2. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Pound puppy...or older dog.

3. Belfrybat

Belfrybat Well-Known Member Supporter

From my experience mixed breeds do well health wise. And I agree with pound puppy. Look for one with the traits she wants. I've had cockers and although I liked their temperament, they are not long lived and have a tendency towards hip and ear problems. If I were to get another dog, I'd look towards a border collie or beagle mix.

CountryMom22 and Al Yaz like this.
  4. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Start by fitting the dog to the person. Is she active? Like little or large dogs? Live in an apartment or have a large lawn area? Once these and other like questions are answered, then look at the traits of various type dogs that fits her best.
    Then get a pound puppy (if she wants to train a puppy) that is a purebred or mix of those types.

CountryMom22, hunter63 and Al Yaz like this.
  5. hiddensprings

hiddensprings Well-Known Member

Research dog breeds that meet your sister's needs. Active, outdoors people need active outdoors dogs. Stay in the house watching TV people, need "let's lay around" dogs. I've always been an outdoors, active person so I've had Border Collies, Smooth Coated Collies, and Labs. I walk around 4-5 miles a day with my Lab right now and she is pretty laid back as far as labs go. And we spend the majority of our time outside doing something. You also have to consider if you can accommodate a larger breed or really need a smaller breed. And what you want the dog to do.....while I love my lab, she is a sweetie...I will go back to a Collie when its time for a new dog. Love their size, intelligence, and loyalty.

CountryMom22 likes this.
  6. hunter63

Have had labs for many years....have one now 3 years old and finally setting down....still a puppy.
    Had a few shepherds as well...all were pound puppies...they were some of the smartest dogs, so far.

My labs were duck and bird dogs....some were papered purebred ....several were ..Labs mostly.
    Best hunter as was rescue....That boy was a machine.....

Our current dogs ...their jobs are lap dogs a cuddly girls....pets.

Haven't really hunted a few years...but we got the current lab( like them)....and a English Springer spaniel as a companion....
    The Springer is not what we were used to...but is a sweety.
    They are my babies...

So.... Pound puppies or older dog...Lab, Shepard are on the top of my list....

I say older dog and the best hunter was older....many need to rescued ...
    He seemed to act like..."I'll really do a good job and be a good boy...Honest...Please...just don't send me back to the pound"

If I outlive these dogs...the next will be a older rescue...as we can hit the rocking chair together

CountryMom22 and mnn2501 like this.
  7. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel?
    I normally don't care much for little breeds but dang, they are cute and they have the soulful spaniel eyes. And everyone I've met has been very sweet.

Al Yaz and hunter63 like this.
  8. hunter63

They will be on your lap....they like attention.

9. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Expect the unexpected Supporter

Our last 2 dogs were cocker spaniels. They made it to 16 and 17 years old. Vet used to say
    to us, don't know what you are doing for them, but keep it up.

Our current dog is a basset. We have had him since 8 weeks old, he is now 5.
    He is a tri color, a very handsome dog. Very intelligent, sometimes we have to spell
    words around him. Like GO to TOWN, then he claims the front seat a lot :)
    He is a bit big for a lap dog. If he wants the chair you are in, you will get pushed out.
    Same for the couch, he lays claim to the length of it. In the other room, he has one
    chair that is his now. If I read in that room, he is in his recliner chair and I get my
    rocker. He also like the rocker, but if I tell him to move, he will. He also will tell you
    when he is hungry. Kind of hard to ignore a dog laying next to his feed dish in the kitchen.

hunter63 and CountryMom22 like this.
  10. CountryMom22

CountryMom22 Well-Known Member

If your sister is looking for a people centered dog who can either be really active or just as happy as a couch potato, I would recommend a Shetland sheepdog. Coat isn't too hard to care for, sweet, soft temperments, loyal to family and smaller in size. The standard calls for 13"-16" at the shoulder which comes out to about 28-35 pounds. It's easy to find shelties larger than the standard as well, if she wants a larger dog. And they are super smart and want nothing more than to please their people.

Al Yaz and hunter63 like this.
  11. Al Yaz

Al Yaz Well-Known Member

funny, i just suggested a Sheltie to her today. :)

CountryMom22 likes this.
  12. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Let me tell ya - they're never too big to be a lap dog. I have an 80 pounder that likes to lay in my lap. It's the only way he can see out the window as I live in an old brick rancher with high windows. :confused::eek::D

CountryMom22 likes this.
  13. Lisa in WA

I wish my 50 pound border collie/Aussie would sit on my lap or cuddle. He puts his head on my knee and gazes into my eyes with all the love in the world to tell me how he feels but he just isn't cuddly. Every few days he will jump on the bed and demand a cuddle but he has enough fairly quickly and gets back down. He also won't sleep on a bed which drives me a little crazy because he's getting old (11) and I'd like to see him off the floor but he will only sleep on a thick fleece blanket with a pillow on the floor by my side of the bed. Stubborn.

He will only get on the sofa to sleep when we aren't home. And we have never forbidden the bed or sofa to him.
    I think he might have been a monk in a previous life. :)

Al Yaz and CountryMom22 like this.
  14. Al Yaz

Al Yaz Well-Known Member

Just an update. Thanks for all the suggestions :) My sister has put a deposit on a ‘naturally reared’ third generation, male Aussie pup. She’s pretty pumped and our two Aussies are too :)

15. Jreed

Jreed Well-Known Member

King charles spanials have some of the worst genetic issues out there. A small mix breed non terrier is a good bet for a pet

16. Lisa in WA

Good to know!

17. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

That's why you find a good breeder.

18. CountryMom22

CountryMom22 Well-Known Member

Glad she made a decision and I hope she's happy with her pup, but didn't she decide that they had too much energy etc? Just curious why she changed her mind?

19. Al Yaz

Al Yaz Well-Known Member

I think the clincher was that her vet suggested she consider a breed other than an American Cocker this time. During the conversation apparently the vet suggested an Aussie, not sure if my sister mentioned the breed or not to her. Anyway, my sister and her husband have routines figured out and seem totally prepared to make sure the new pup gets all the exercise it will require. They have had lots of dogs in the past and my sister’s dog(s) has always come first in her life, so I am confident they are on top of it. :)