Breeding...

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by thefarmerswife, Jul 16, 2006.

1. thefarmerswife

thefarmerswife NY_Cowgirls Mom&Herself

I'm planing to breed my lops in the next day or so. Here is my list of Questions.
    1.How long should she be in his cage?
    2.How long are Holland lops pregnant?
    3.when should I put the nesting box in?
    4.should I increase her food?
    That's all I can think of for now.
    Farm Gal

Thefarmerswife's Daughter

2. CountryDreams

CountryDreams Well-Known Member

1) I watch to see that the breeding has occured. I will let them breed a couple of times before removing the doe. On hot days, we do the breeding early or late when it isn't so hot out.
    2) Most all rabbits run a 29-31 day gestation period. Just like people, all rabbits are different. Some of mine go a little early and some a little late.
    3) I always put the nest box in the cage on Day 28
    4) I don't increase her food until after she has kindled (had her babies)

Good luck with your upcoming breedings. I wish you many healthy litters.

3. thefarmerswife

Thanks I'm very excited.
    Farm Gal
    ETA also should I put her back in with the buck after 10 or 12 hours?

4. CountryDreams

CountryDreams Well-Known Member

I wouldn't put her back in with the buck unless you are wanting very large litters. I only do this on my meat rabbits and never on a does first litter. I'm sure other people would answer this differently than I did.

5. thefarmerswife

6. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

I agree...watch til he falls down, and the deed has been done. If you put her back, she might have too many babies and they'll take a long time to grow to a reasonable eating size...eight is a good number, I find. I've had 16...by putting her back the next day....and the poor little things starved to death.

7. thefarmerswife

I bred them tonight. And they seemed to do there thing :rolleyes:
    Now I have to be patient for a month.

8. Bernadette

Bernadette Enjoying Polish Rabbits

:clap: ...... now comes the hard part.... waiting!!

9. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

On all of our "miniature" breeds we always waited for them to mate 3 times and then put the doe back in with the buck 8 to 12 hours later. With Holland Lops especially along with Netherland Dwarfs, Jersey Wollies, Lion Heads etc., you want them to have more than 2 because the babies will get too big inside and she'll have trouble having them and 9 times out of 10 they'll be born dead. More babies inside results in them being a little smaller and easier for her to deliver.
    You can feel her belly at two weeks to see if she is indeed pregnant. They'll feel a little like marbles in her belly. If not, you can try rebreeding if she's ready. If you have more than one doe, try to breed two or three does at a time so that if a problem comes up like a litter that is too large or you lose the doe, you have another doe you can foster babies on to.
    Watch her carefully if she is outside with the heat. Toward the end of her pregnancy, if it is hot out, give her frozen 2 liter bottles of water in her cage to lay up against to keep cool. You also have to watch when she has her babies, if it's very hot out, we've lost babies in the nest box due to the heat. When they start to get their fur, we've taken them out of the box and laid them on the wire during the heat of the day so that they're cooler or bring the nest box in the house during the day to keep them cool and take it back out to the doe at night. Rabbits only nurse their babies during the night usually. Don't be suprised if you have a rabbit that is half the size of the others and you lose it. "Dwarf" breeds will often have babies called a "peanut" and it's basicly a rabbit that received double dwarf genes. They always die. You'll also get babies that are twice the size of the others and they recieved no dwarf genes. They usually mature around 6 pounds, but these make the best brood does.