Breeding too young--how to feed

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mary,tx, Sep 11, 2006.

1. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Back around the 1st of July, the little five month old buck got out and bred his sister. That week he went to auction; next week his sister got lutelyse.

I hoped everything was taken care of, but a half-sister I did not think got bred now looks like she did. :rolleyes: I'm hoping for suggestions on the best way to feed her so that she gets the nutrition she needs but the kid she may be carrying doesn't get too big.

:shrug:

thanks,
    mary

2. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

When my doeling got caught last year, at 2 months old, I just let have pasture 24/7 & hay. Just a handful of goat pellets a day. No alfalfa since her mom foundered on it at the end of her pregnancy.

However, when she kidded, she worked up to 2-3 cups of pellets a day and a small handful of alfalfa pellets.

Her kid was still too big & had to be pulled. BUT she is very fine boned, & he was a fairly big buck single with a WIDE head! Both are fine now. She's still fine boned & he's a few inches taller than her. He'll be one on Nov. 4.

These are pygmy crosses.

Good luck!

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I just feed them like I feed all my bred doelings. They get a small ration of grain, free-choice alfalfa/grass hay all winter and then I up the amount of grain slowly *after* they kid out and are milking or feeding their kids. I don't do anything special with the few that have gotten bred to early. Even the one I had bred at two months old kidded out just fine on this regimen. I do try to *always* attend the birth if the doeling was bred too young.
    Oh, and of course they always have free-choice minerals(and kelp, if I can afford to free-choice it).

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

It's highly unlikely the doe would abort if given lutelyse only 1 week after being bred...the embryo's would not be attached in the uterus yet to be expelled. I would lutelyse her again, I would much rather her kid in 36 hours with small unviable kids, at 3 or 4 months pregnant, than to wait and have a huge single kid that is still likely not going to make it, or an expensive C section, which at most vets you loose both dam and kid (unless they have done goats before).

If you aren't going to abort her, than she needs not only nutrition for herself but growing kids, grain for energy, alfalfa for protein, of course minerals. I would also scope out a vet who will do a standing C section and not put my doe under. Vicki

5. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

I bought a bred doe and her daughter 4 years ago. The daughter was small and petite and I specifically asked if she was bred; they assured me that no, she was "too young" when the doe was bred. However, after a month or so, my then 4-year old daughter noticed that Aspen had an udder developing. Yep, they'd turned the mom and daughter out together with the buck and he caught the doeling at 3 months old. She kidded within the week. She tried to kid at 8 months old but could not pass the kid. It was awful. We tried and tried to pull the baby, but the head would not move past her pin bones. I finally sent my daughter over to the neihbor's and put poor Aspen out of her misery. I then performed a c-section and was able to save her kid, a HUGE doe kid. If I had known earlier, I might have considered lutalyse too. The doe could be saved. Of course, if you have the money you could pay for a c-section, but I did't have that option.