Breeding to young?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by cab, Jan 9, 2005.

1. cab

cab Guest

What are the pitfalls of breeding a gilt at 6 1/2 months of age? I've read other posts that say 8 months of age but I have access to a big boar right now. This opportunity will pass in a few weeks; thanx

2. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

I would not use to big of a boar. He could hurt her.

3. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Cab,
    When I answered your other post I didn't realise how young your pig was. If she were mine I definately would not be breeding her at that age. Haveing the use of a boar now, particularly one so large, could cause you big problems later plus she may not be able to take his weight.

Why not look around for a likely looking boar in a few months time that is about the same age as her. If you can't or don't want to keep him after he's done the deed you can then put him in the freezer.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

4. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Staff Member Supporter

I would let her cycle two times before breeding her. If she is 250 lbs at 6.5 months as you indicated in another post that is pretty good. This is what I've read, what the farmer who lends us his boars says and it has worked well for us. I've been told that if they are bred too young they have small litters, don't nurse well and are generally stunted for life.

Don't let the availability of a boar rush you. Better to wait if in doubt.

Where are you located?

-Walter
    in Vermont