breeding sheep

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by brierpatch1974, Aug 25, 2006.

1. brierpatch1974

brierpatch1974 Well-Known Member

just curious on how many people breed one type of sheep? or do you cross breed your sheep? do you cross two meat breeds trying to get better meat producton? or maybe a wool breed with a meat breed to get the best of both?
    I am leaning very strongly toward getting Dorpers, White faced and Black, and seeling them for meat and not wool. I know they are great meat sheep all by themselves but does anyone cros them with another breed just to have better selling offspring? Or just keep them purebred? Thanks for the advice.

BP

2. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

I think the best meat sheep is the Texel. They have the biggest loin eye.

3. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

We have 5 breeds of sheep. We keep them all seperate for breeding so we can keep their registration straight and pure - no crosses.

4. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

Depends on what your plans are.
    If you want to sell breeding stock - purebred registered sells for higher prices.

If you want to sell your lambs for meat, then often crossing two breeds produces a faster growing offspring.

If I were to cross Dorper with another breed for meat production - I think I would go with a Katahdin. Its another hairsheep breed that also has been selected for good meat carcass qualities.

Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com

5. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Cross breeds are ususally more productive then purebred animals. Dorper/Katahdin lambs grow faster. They can still be registered as "percentage Dorpers". The Dorper breed was developed by crossing Horned Dorsets with Black Headed Persians. If youre selling them just for the meat Im not sure the "breed" really matters all that much to the customers. Any of the "hair" sheep will be better for meat poduction because of the milder flavor and less work involved ( No shearing). But not one of my meat customers has ever asked what breed they were. They just want a "lamb". But having sheep that can be registered gives you a bigger market because you may be able to sell some as breeders at about 2 times the price. They dont have to be purebred to get more as breeding stock.

If you get Dorpers, the White Dorpers and Black Headed ones cant be crossbred AND registered. Although they are really the same breed, if they are registered as White Dorpers they cant be bred back to a Black Headed sheep. But an all white Dorper can be registered as just a "Dorper" Silly rules to me but thats how its done.

If you want to raise both crossbreeds AND purebred or full blooded (they arent the same) , keep in mind they will have to be kept seperately.. You can get a lot of info here: http://www.dorperamerica.org/default.htm