Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I started my little pig journey last year in june. My girls have farrowed twice now and I've started to realize that there is going to be a lot of information to keep. What do you all document? I know to document stuff like litter size, number weaned, live/still births, farrow dates. What else would be nice to keep records on? Do you keep a separate notebook for each sow?

I've got three sows right now and 3 gilts that I'm planning on breeding this winter to farrow next spring. I'd like to get all my ducks in a row before I get to deep.

I'm a first time (farmer). I'm keeping them on woodlots, planning on clearing my acreage eventually and creating pasture for them. I'd like in a few years to get up to a breeding herd of 6-10 sows.

I have no experience in farming or business so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Any and all information you are able to track would be beneficial. Most of us wish we could keep better records on everything. The truth is we all do the best we can and sometimes things out of the ordinary happen and we are not able to document the into we want on time (or miss the opportunity all together)
Sow ages and weights at different times would be good to have.
Piglet birth weights and weights at weaning etc would be good to have.
feed consumption and feed mixes
litter numbers
newborn weights
body scoring for sows with piglets. (do they maintain their body condition or lose condition quickly causing you to wean earlier?)
The things you mentioned about litter size and mortality would also be good.

The things that will really make a difference would be to be able to track sow expenses and piglet expenses so when you go to sell you have the most accurate numbers possible in order to price so you make a profit.

I ear marked all my piglets as to litter, but not as individuals. I am starting to think I might wish I would have numbered them within the litter in the future, but maybe not, knowing the litter they come from seems sufficient at this time.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
Yes note book on each Sow,Gilt,Boar. Also medical record like wormed,shots, etc. How much feed and kind of feed at different times of the year. Dam and Sire of each litter etc. Age,breed,etc. Where you bought the different stock and date. Any health problems. Its easy to lose track so i try to keep all my note books up to date.

Cost to feed them. Time spend on them. Sales record of any pigs sold.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I use a notebook for all of the same items as Gerold and Muleman, but also track all costs on a simple spreadsheet ie: purchase prise, feed purchases, vet supplies, transportation, slaughter, butcher etc. This gives me all the info I need to see that I'm still not making money:)

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
I use a notebook for all of the same items as Gerold and Muleman, but also track all costs on a simple spreadsheet ie: purchase prise, feed purchases, vet supplies, transportation, slaughter, butcher etc. This gives me all the info I need to see that I'm still not making money:)
Fenced in pasture,woods,and fields, etc. Spend 5K before i had any pigs just getting a place fixed for them. Plowed up pastures and planted pasture and crops. It has paided off. After 3 years starting to show a profit this year.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Hubby set up Excel spreadsheet; we've used it to track weight gain for our two gilts. I can see just how helpful it would be if we had say 10 sows. It's been interesting to see the changes over time. I used my Iphone to take "notes" and then enter figures at night.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I do much of the above mentioned. I also keep track of what, when, and approximate quantity and duration of what our property yields, whether indigenous (acorns, persimmons, wild cherry, etc.) or planted in garden. I know it will vary, as some years are heavy mast cycles, and some not. Helps to see where the gaps will be in advance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts