Breeding rant...

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JeffNY, May 7, 2005.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Well last Sunday I was going to get one of the holsteins bred, turns out the breeder changed his number. I did leave a message on his home phone as well, no returned call, no show. Funny, I called before noon on the one number, the other was after but even so, no call back. So I called the Select Sire office in PA, and got a new number (his new cell). So I called it, left a message back on Monday, yet to hear from him. So Saturday, called to have him give me a call, find out if this is the number to contact him. I am giving it till Tuesday, if no return, it will be time to call the district manager and the office in PA.

Now the odd thing was, we tried to get ahold of him back in Jan, ask him about a bull he has/had, never called back. What would you do? Call the manager like I plan to if he does not call, to crack the whip a bit. I wouldn't care, if I didn't want to use Durham on this one heifer. But since Select Sires has Durham, im in a rut. She will come into heat again between the 20th and 22nd. I had to sound off because it is very frustrating when you nail down when she is in heat, and you hear nothing. This fall ill have a semen tank, and ill buy Durham from Select Sires to stick in the tank, so I will be using a different breeder then. I wish Select Sires had more technicians in the area, in Jan the District Manager covered for him, and he bred the Jersey (didn't take, but that was because she was bred at the end of her cycle). What I did was kept a very close eye on her, as soon as she showed sign, stuck her with the hereford. She took, preg checked her on Thursday :), she should calf October 29th.

Sorry to nag, but it is very frustrating.

Jeff

2. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

Yes that would be very frustrating!

FWIW ... years ago FIL did his own AI. He went to an ag short-course somewhere and learned how.

I don't know why he didn't continue. It might have been too hard on his arms. They suspect he has a slow sort of muscular dystrophy which runs in the family and it most affected his arms. (Rant warning ...) Doesn't seem fair sometimes that someone who WANTS to work, can't, but others who could work and won't, don't realize how lucky they are to be able bodied!

3. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

Simple soloution. Once you have your own tank take an AI training course. They are not terribly expensive and it is not difficult to learn or do. It cost me less than $400.00 for training and the AI kit, thats less than what the tank cost. The techs around here charge around $30.00 (depending upon distance) for a "barn call" and plus $4.00 per head. So I have stored small numbers of straws and and inseminated a few cows for friends and folks that I know pretty well. I was surprised the local techs don't resent that, but they really don't like to do just one or two cows. Since I don't poach any of their good clients they sometimes refer someone with one or two cows to me. I don't charge very much, but I make enough to keep my semen tank filled, my supply box full, pay for my fuel, with a enough left over I will probably recover the cost of training and tank in a couple of years. I do about all that I want to do. Folks with only a cow or two appreciate gettting it done more reasonably and it makes my own AI costs very cheap. Something to think about.

4. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

I imagine that most of the problem is that you only have a few cows and you are only wanting one bred at a time. These guys want entire herds scheduled to spend a day or so at a farm/ranch doing the AI-ing.
    They sell semen by the cane and just a few straws spent at your place really isn't that much to them.
    I AI for most of my neighbors (goats and cows) and let them store their few straws in my tank. It really isn't hard and you should probably learn to do it yourelf. Then, you aren't a victim of someone else's schedule.
    Tana Mc

5. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Id wait till fall with this particular heifer, it is when I will have a tank, etc etc. One of the breeders said he could set me up with a guy to teach me privately. But, without a tank, and no funds for one at the moment im SOL :). But I know their dilemna, however he came the first time gave this one Jersey a shot of lutelice (sp) and did not charge for that visit, he came back to breed her. He saw the size of the herd, he simply did not call back. I think the manager is who came the second time, he came to breed the one Jersey, showed up no problems. I might call him Tuesday to see if he would come over, we'll see about that idea. He covers for him I guess when he is away. The office did say, it should not matter the size of the herd, they should call back or show up.

There is two sides to the pressure, I do this to get him to call. Or it ticks him off and he doesn't breed her properly, who knows. But id wait, but this one heifer will be wayyy to fat next fall. She is already 1000lbs, 15 months old. So it's time.

Jeff