Breeding rabbits.

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by r.h. in okla., Jan 2, 2006.

1. Any one have any luck breeding rabbits in January? I read that they are suppose to be molting around this time of year. Over the weekend I reconstructed my old chicken coop/pen and turned it into a rabbit colony breeding pen. So this evening I put 3 does and 1 buck in their and am going to leave them in their for a few days in hopes all the does get bred. Next week I'm gonna put another 2 does in and another buck.

I just hope they're not just having fun for nothing!

2. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Oh. . . . well. . . . If they're "having fun", I'd hazard a guess that they're breeding and you're going to have kits born in, oh. . . .about 30 days. ;)

NeHi Mama

3. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

Yes, we breed rabbits every month of the year. Molting doesn't
    necessarily happen in one particular month. I have rabbits molting
    now but it is primarily a result of 80 + temps in January! It is
    unusual for my rabbits to molt in January. Rabbits are usually
    fertile even when molting. The main contributing factors
    I see for molting in rabbits are temperature changes, a change
    in feed, and quality of feed.

Linda Welch
    Texas

4. rickd203

rickd203 Well-Known Member

:happy:

Mine are multiplying like.... well...RABBITS!!!

:goodjob:

5. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Mine actually seem to breed better in the winter than in the hot summer months (heat often makes the bucks go sterile).

6. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

please touch me ;) . mine are giving me fits. My husband added a light ( sopt light bulb) and I am starting to get some breeding happening :rock: but only for the ones in the spotlight. :viking:

This strange weather is not helping. I have tarps up abecause it is to be cold. I am having trouble keeping it cool. when I do start having babies it will be near 0 :help: .

My rabbits have not been acting like rabits.

7. DazzleBunny

DazzleBunny Member

Mine seem to be doing just fine. If your daylight is short, just hang a light in the coop and leave it on a timer for 3 or 4 days, the does will be ready and (more) willing,LOL! I do all my breeding on my grooming table area, seems to work good, and everyone is back in the cages by dinner time!
    Breed before you feed, the bucks will be hungry and ready to get on with it instead of full and lazy. I know when my does are ready as they will zoom in circles in the cages, and as soon as they hit the table, tails in the air!
    Stephanie

8. CountryDreams

CountryDreams Well-Known Member

I've been so busy with work lately that I haven't had time to mess with mine. I did ask my husband to put a doe in with a buck, actually I asked him to do that with three of my does with three different bucks. I should've done it myself because when I asked him if they bred, he responded with "not that I know of, I didn't stay to watch them." :grit:
    I guess I'm just going to have to put a nest box in with them anyway. I'll try to check for pregnancy but I'm not great with that, depending on the doe.

9. Well I got to counting how long it will take for gestation and how long till weaning, etc. and I came up with this......"Hey, I'm gonna have bunnies to sell at Easter time"!!!!!! :goodjob: