Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got a Kinder buck two days ago to date our two Kinder girls. :)

I thought we might miss Pickles heat this time b/c her last cycle was 24 days ago....but when we brought the buck in the barn she was immediately at the fence going ga ga over him flagging that tail fast as could be. So....we put her in with him and nature took its course. I'm wondering if heat cycles are not regular when they first start cycling for the season? Did we catch Pickles in time if she was receptive and the deed was done....does it matter that it was 24 days and not 18-21 like "normal"?

Should we now take her out of the pen with the buck? She doesn't seem interested at all anymore -- although he's not really bothering her. Nothing is going on now.

We have one more girl to breed with him. Her last heat was 12 days ago. Should we wait until she is showing interest through the fence? Should we put her in now? Should we leave the buck by himself to stare longlingly at all the other girls throught the fenceline until the one we want is ready?

Thanks!

Dee

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
All goats are different, and 18-21 days is the average. But don't be alarmed when they don't follow the average.

If I were you I'd wait to put the other doe in with him until she starts showing signs of heat. That way, you have an exact duedate. I always like having an exact duedate because then, a week before they're due, I start checking ligaments 2x per day. I haven't missed a kidding yet.

Also, if the doe is out of standing heat, she can be taken out of the buck pen now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.