Breeding questions.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Patty0315, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

If goats are out of good lines both a good examples of the breed would you breed father to daughter ? Is this an exceptable practice ?

Patty

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Yes, you can breed father to daughter. It is sometimes done. However, you need to have some understanding of what can result. With inbreeding such closely related individually, you have a greater chance of pairing up "bad" genes which would produce faults and weaknesses that otherwise would remain hidden and not exhibited in the offspring. This is becuase they would be "recessive" traits. But on the flip side, when breeding closely related animals, you also have the benefit of pairing up good genes, enhancing the chance of throwing kids with some really positive characteristics particularly if good bloodlines are used.

So if you are willing to cull heavily, meaning not keeping any offspring that have obvious faults, then that practice of inbreeding can be used to your advantage. But to do so, you must know what to look for and to do so, you should be knowledgeable as far as the proper confermation and characteristics of a good dairy goat as well as able to spot glaring weaknesses. And, be willing to not pass on the really flawed culls as breeding stock. Wether the bucklings and sell the doelings as pets or backyard milkers if they are not up to snuff.

3. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I have bred father to daughter and gotten nice kids. I currently have 2 doelings from such a breeding. I wethered the buckling.

4. APPway

APPway Well-Known Member Supporter

could not have said it better Diane.
    Patty I know from your posts you really study lines in your animals so I would say do the breeding and just cull if it does not work out. you will still have a doe in milk and will maybe be able to tell what to look for next breeding

Appway

5. Patty0315

I have a chance to buy as a group 3 does and a buck. The woman needs to move them and really does not want to split them. The bucks sire{i think} or grand sire was grand champion at the breed show 3 years running. The girls come from good lines also. The buck is the sire to 2 of the girls. I really wanted an unrelated buck for all 6 girls but am thinking about this deal as the price is good.

Thanks , Patty

6. mberryrfd

mberryrfd Well-Known Member

Just dont breed grandfather to granddaughter which would be the does daughter.We havent done this but I have heard of a few horror stories

7. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

you can make ANY breeding with in the family group, Mother Son, Father Daughter, Brother Sister, GrandParrents to Grandkids, etc. the only thing is you have to Cull responcibly, just because you find some BAD traits popping up that just means they go in the freezer or the compost heap, there will be some REALLY GOOD ones show up as well if you start with exceptional stock like what it sounds like you have.
    this is what breeders do to develop a High Quality line that breeds true over and over and over, when you keep bringing in NEW blood thats when you have Guess work to do as there is NO telling what genetic combination will come out, and if you have worked for several generations on a line and bring in a new blood animal you will essentially have to start over working to bring the genetic diversity back into line with what you want.

8. Patty0315

Thanks , it looks like I may back out. I am feeling uneasy. I have spoken with this woman for months waiting for her to decide what she wanted to sell. She told me the 3 does and buck for one price. I then asked about the girls only and she gave me a price. Then said someone else was interested in the group and she would wait and see if she wanted them. Then I said OK I will take the group and she said fine but whoever gets a check to me first gets them. Well I don't like doing buisness like that. I have stuck around waiting to buy a few goats from her for along time at least she could do is commite and say OK they are yours , send me a check or when are you going to pick them up ? EEER I hate this !

9. KSALguy

if they are good quality goats and you are close enough to go get them now and have the money for them i would go get them before someone else does, First come First serve,
    if they are good quality goats, and if the buck has the Excelent blood lines and the does are just as good, you cant go THAT wrong, and you can both improve your existing stock as well as line breed these to help perpetuate the exelent qualitys.

are they registerd by chance?

10. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I don't blame her for saying whoever comes with the money first gets them. I have had way too many people want me to hold goats & then I turn down other buyers only to have the first guy back out at the last minute. So now, I also do the first come, first serve way. I do not hold goats unless they pay me for them ahead of time.

11. Patty0315

My problem is I am being told send a check but if someone else shows up with money tomorrow they will be sold and gone. At least give me a few days for the check to get there. I waited months and waited for these goats , no deposit was asked for before.

12. KSALguy

well dont send a check just go get them,

13. Patty0315

I would but its 6 hours away ! It takes a little planning to leave the farm and 3 human kids. Hubby works off the farm.