breeding questions

Discussion in 'Goats' started by suzyhomemaker09, Dec 2, 2005.

1. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

Ok let me start off by saying I am still very new to all this....
    I noticed this AM that one of my wethers was trying to mount a doe....I brought her over to the buck pen and she seemed to be quite interested...flagging and talking and such. I put her in with him ( he is a youngish buckling btw) He does the usual kick and push thing with her and tried to mount her but didn't seem to get the job done...he is a few inches shorter than her..(does that make a big difference?) She kept giving him those over the shoulder "what are you waiting for " looks. He nudged her around a little more but still no deed. I took her out to take her back to the pasture and she was just crying and mooning all by his pen. Am I missing something? Advice? :shrug:

2. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

He might just not have got it figured out yet. :confused: I don't know how much difference the size would make. I wouldn't think a couple of inches would be an insurmountable (no pun intended!) problem.

You'll know that the job is done (if you're watching) because the doe will hunch her back - it's quite unmistakeable. Put her back in and leave her for a while - just watch so that nobody starts getting rough. Nature generally takes its course.

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

He may just need more time. A few inches difference in height shouldn't be a problem. If she was mine, I would leave her in his pen overnight. I had a Nubian buckling who was almost half the height of a certain doe I wanted him to breed. He also didn't seem to know how to get the job done. I penned them together overnight and 5 months later she produced twins that were colored just like him.....=)

4. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

It takes young bucks a while to figure it out. I'd leave the doe in with the buck for a day. I bred a 6 month old buck to a 3 year old doe with no problem. I know she is pregnant because she very loudly lets me know if she is in heat and she hasn't cycled since she was bred.