Breeding Questions

Discussion in 'Goats' started by lijj, Oct 31, 2005.

1. lijj

lijj Well-Known Member

I have just a few questions concerning breeding. I'm getting my two goats bred this winter. They're both about 2 1/2 yrs old, and one is a Nubian and the other is an Oberhasli. My friend has a nubian buck she's willing to let them breed to. I'm going to get them bred sometime in late november/early december.

1) how many kids does a first time doe have? 1 or 2?

2) do I have to milk the goat or can the kid(s) just drink all they want?

3) Is it ok if my goats are a little on the chubby side? Like, will their fatness get in the way of their pregnancy?

4) How long should I keep the buck in with my two does? Should I put the buck in with them together? How do I know when my goats are bred?

5) Do I need to change their feed amount or feed before and after they are bred, and if so, what to?

2. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

1.. they can have 1-3, sometimes 4, even first timers-but most have 1 or 2 the first time.

2. the kids can drink the milk-she'll meet demand, no more, unless she's unusual.

3. best to be in condition, not fat, like all animals

4. there should be some white stringy stuff right after breeding....if they don't come back into heat in 21 days give or take a couple, they are likely bred. leave him there until he does the job he's there to do....

5. i've always pretty much kept mine the same, but some people change-if they are a little on the fat side you might cut back a little now, before you breed them. about a pound a day of a 9-12 % feed is good for dry does/bred does, does you aren't milking for the milk, in my experience.

3. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

First off, with the number of a first timer, our first first timer had triplets, and she was a VERY SMALL mutt goat, our seconed had 1 baby, and one of our girls we were told had twins her first try. Second, with the baby fat thing, our does DO get bigger and more solid on the side that they are carrying the baby, but we do not USUALLY see it until about 3-4 months. Third, when we breed one of our does, we saw that there was still some semen left on her vulva, so we are pretty sure that she is breed. Fourth, that is ALL that I know, Good Luck. Bye.