Breeding questions????

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milk n' Honey, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

This is my first year with breeding goats. I have a Nubian doe that is in heat, I think. She was visiting with the buck through the fence and wailing loudly. It was almost dark outside so this was unusual for my goats. I went to see what the fuss was about and they were both reacting to each other. So, I put them in together because I want to breed this cycle. Well, I have never seen goats mating nor do I know what to expect. How long does it take? He has mounted her several times and she isn't fighting him. She stands for him, however, is not raising her tail so it looks as though he isn't actually getting anywhere. I feel stupid asking such detailed questions about a goat's mating habits but I really have no clue. Aside from dogs, I haven't raised any other kind of animal. If anyone has any info or advice on how to watch for a successful mating occurence, please let me know. I haven't been able to find any info on it anywhere. Thanks so much!!

2. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

I have oberhaslis,When my buck mounts I watch to see if he throws his head back .Thats when he does his thing.I let him mount 2 times then remove the doe.Works every time ;)

3. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Be sure and mark your calendar. If she is standing and he is mounting, I'd say it's done.
    mary

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

You can tell when he gets the deed done by, like said above, he throws his head back and thrusts hard. sometimes the doe will tuck her butt in and make a noise. i would watch her, though, because sometimes it doesnt take and they go back into heat about 21 days later.

5. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

Thank you for your information. I don't remember him throwing his head back or her making any abnormal sounds. She was pretty vocal the whole time she was in heat. I left her in with him for 2 days. She went in Saturday night and we watched her a while. I didn't think he was accomplishing anything so I decided to leave her in. He wasn't hurting her or anything so I felt OK with it. We just took her out this evening (Monday). Their interest was mostly gone. I figure if it happened, I'll know in about 3 weeks, if she doesn't come into heat again. Thanks again. I'll know more what to look for next time. He isn't very old either. This is his first breeding season. He is only about 7 months old. I hope he can do it!! ;o) We'll see.