Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.....

I was preparing to breed my first group of goats in the next 2 weeks and wormed my buck yesterday orally with Cydectin. Well, my 1 Alpine cross came into heat yesterday and I was unable to get her in with my buck. I was planning on doing it this morning and was a bit concerned with the wormer. So here are the questions...ready??

1. is it okay to breed with the wormer so new?

2. how do I know if I missed her heat?

3. the barn is not done yet, so I have to put her out in his pen/shelter that is a bit large. He is 8 months and she is 3 years. Will this work? Or should I put them in her pen and watch them so he doesn't get my yearlings?

4. When is too late to breed in your opinion?

I have 2 does that are crosses that I want to breed this month. I have 3 alpines I want to breed in December. I then have 2 yearlings that should be ready in January/February. I never thought this would be a problem, but all the talk of flies in the summer has me a bit worried. I am in Northern PA and I hope June will not be a problem.

thanks for your help and advice!

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
No problem with the wormer.

You'll know you missed her heat if she refuses to stand for the buck.

Whatever pen you put them in doesn't matter, if she's willing to stand for him. You could just take her over there, breed her a few times, then put her away without ever taking her off her leash. If you put him in with several does and others are in heat, then expect it to get bred, lol... he's faster than you. :)

I don't know what you mean 'too late to breed'. If she isn't in standing heat, she won't stand. As for planning your kidding season, breed around your schedule 5 months from now. Understand kids born in January will need you present to kid out for success in drying and preventing them from chilling, and spring born kids will likely need far less help/close monitoring. I've had LOTS of summer kids born and while I like March kids more, summer kids are JUST fine from their health standpoint... However, any doelings you keep born in July cannot be bred their first fall, so you have to push them back until late winter at the earliest and that means more summer kids that can't be bred next spring should you keep any... so I dislike summer kids for this reason, myself. :p If your breeds are seasonal, late winter (Jan/Feb) is pushing it for breeding because some does may start having irregular estrus and cease cycling.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, I put her in with him and she did stand but in short spurts. he was able to do his thing a few times and she had white discharge after a few attempts. As you said, it was quick! I took her back to her pen and waited a while. When I put her in again, he wasn't nearly as interested so I hope that means he did his job!

thanks for you help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts