Breeding Questions For Mini's

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tltater, Dec 6, 2006.

1. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

Hello everyone! Haven't posted lately but always reading. I have two does that are mini's (1 pygmy/la mancha, 1 pygmy/nubian) and was wondering at what age I should breed them. The pygmy/la mancha was in heat last month and this month. She was born the beginning of March last year. She is so not like her momma while in heat! She is VERY noisy!!! My other little one was born the end of April last year and is always noisy but I don't think she has been in an actual heat yet. Her brother is in with the does and the pygmy buck I use and doesn't seem to be sexually mature yet either.

So, at what age do you breed the mini's? Is there a weight they should be at first?

Thanks!

Tracy
    Southwestern, NY

2. tltater

Just bumping this up.....anyone???

Thanks,
    Tracy
    Southwestern, NY

3. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I have a mini-Alpine I just bred at the age of 14 months---a little over a year. I went by her physical maturity. I bred her to a Nigerian Dwarf so that she won't have very big babies anyway, but I judged she was as big as she going to get.

Her half-sister, a pure Nigie, is exceptionally petite for her age, in spite of having been one of the biggest biggie-wiggies I ever raised. I won't be breeding her for at least another hew months, if she doesn't get much bigger by then I will probably wait until next winter.

4. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

howdy i never bred my goats under 9 months old....I had pygmy's...nubs'...and kinders...kinder is a nub/pygmy mix..most often a nub doe and pyg buck......with my goats i bred twice a year then they got off a year unless you want them for milk!.....it seemed to me i had alot less problems with the kids, infection, bladder leakage...and such when i gave the nanny off for a season...dale anne

5. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

I like doelings to be 10 months old and well-grown before breeding them.

6. tltater

Thanks for the replies! I was thinking around the 9 month or so mark myself. The one doe is pretty good sized(nursed on mom for quite some time) but the other is catching up quickly. The one that has been in heat twice is the one I plan on breeding next month...that would make her 10 months, so look like I am figuring correctly. I have a pygmy doeling I probably won't breed until she is 18 months though....they just don't seem to grow as quickly as the larger breeds.

Thanks again,
    Tracy
    Southwestern, NY